college for landscaping/hardscape

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by adam5557, Apr 2, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys i am in high school and have a nice lawn care business started with almost 20 customers and just bought my first commercial mower the other day. I really like doing this kind of work but my parents also want me to go to college as i am pretty decent in school. What would you guys reccomend going into if i wanted to learn more about landscaping/hardscaping and also building and remodeling.Have any of you been in this kind of position?thanks any help would be great..

2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

yes i've been in the position
    no i wouldn't go to school

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you are from MI, your lucky because Michigan State Univercity has an excellant Landscape program.

4. Go to school, you'll realize your dumb parents now, are the smartest people in the world later.

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Be cool, go to school.
    check out programs in horticulture, agriculture, or architcecture, or landscape design or landscape architecture. I have a BS in Ag. in plant and soil sciences. There's lots to choose from. University of Delaware, UMass, Cornell, tons of schools. On Long Island, SUNY Farmingdale.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I went, I never did, but I do make 6 figures. Uconn has a good program to look at.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

There are several good programs out there. Michigan is well enough respected out here that it is one of the few schools that the city of Scottsdale will accept for their employees at the ballpark and parks department. Texas A&M seems to be well liked as well. The most important courses you will probably need to take are Finance and Accounting. No matter what the business, its about the money.Good luck and aim for the big payup .

8. millerlc

millerlc LawnSite Member

I was in your same boat. I'm a senior in high school and was unsure whether to attend college or not.
    I decided it would be better for my career ahead.
    Now I will be attended Cornell next fall majoring in Horticulture.
    A degree will set you apart from the other landscapers and opens various different areas that you my be interested in.

Good Luck.

9. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was in ur same situation just last year i liked what i was doing i had to go to school. I found a good program at OCC. I would defiantly look into it i have leard a great deal and this is my first semester in the program. I have found out when a client asks you a question and you can fire back with the right answer with out looking it up they have a lot more confedace in u. I have landed a few more jobs just knowing the little bit that i have learned iam glad i did not regretting anything. If you would like some more info PM me and i would be gladly to help. Good luck.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to college and get a degree. You'll be glad you did. payup