College for Landscaping

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jeffslawnservice, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I've been on the site for about 6 or 7 months now and have learned alot just from reading other peoples post or threads. But I figured it was time to introduce myself and give a little background on how I got into the business. Well I'm 17 years old and am going into senior year and have been mowing lawns in the neighborhood since I was 13. I decided last year that I wanted to be a landscaper when I was older because I loved making peoples properties look good and always had a thing for doing landscape work. So I started to do a little advertising last fall and got a small amount of work, enough to buy myself a used 21'' lawn boy, a used echo weedwacker, and a used craftsman blower. Since then I have brought little thing such as a hedge trimmer and another weedwacker. But most of the money I make goes into the bank for college. I also work for a landscaper Monday to Friday and then do my accounts on the weekend and at night after work. I want to go full time some time but I want to go to school for landscaping. I live in Philadelphia and want to stay close so I can also focus on my business. My college choices are Temple, Delval, and Penn State Abington. I am thinking about going for horticulture and business management. But if anyone thinks that another major would be better let me know. As of now I am not trying to put alot of money back into my business but into the bank for college but I am trying to buy a truck( I have been working out of a minivan but I hate it and when I can borrow my buddies truck to mow it is so much better. So if anyone has any advice criticism or questions let me know.

Thanks for reading

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Keep doing what you are doing and it sounds like a great idea to get a degree in horticulture and Business. Best of luck to you and if you have any questions, just ask!