College Graduates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yokes, Dec 28, 2007.

1. yokes

yokes LawnSite Member

I would like to hear from anyone who has a college degree that is not related to the green industry. My question is why did you decide to work in landscaping/lawn maintenance rather than pursuing a career that is related to your college degree?
  2. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have my associates in Auto Technology. Started mowing when i was 13 but only considered it to be a side job for cash until I went to college and started my "career". Always liked muscle cars so that's what i went for. Ended up in a dealership for a year after graduating and hated it. So i quit and got back into the mowing business. My degree now sits in my nightstand under a stack of Turf magazines.

If i could do it all over I'd have still gone to college, but I'd have majored in agriculture and taken some classes on business management to help with my business.
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 associates degrees. One in Aviation and the other in Industrial tech. I am also a journeyman pipefitter and had to retire from a failing automotive industry job. This solo operation is going to put my 2 lads through college. Im too ornery to work for anyone else and my dream of teaching people to fly went down the toilet when I lost my Commercial and Flight Instructor priveleges to insulin dependent diabetes.
  4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. I graduated from college in 1997. I thought I wanted to work in that field, but I quickly figured out that working in a corporate setting is a lot like the movie Office Space. Maybe even worse. I also worked in management for a large grocery store chain. That was horrible. I worked all the time. And even though I made decent money and had great benefits, I was a salaried employee. So, scheduled hours meant nothing. If I decided to leave work at my scheduled time to leave, it was like "Where are you going?" It was like this job should come first. You family and life must come last.
    I had enough and worked a couple of other stupid jobs to support my family from about 2001-2002. In 2002 my neighbor wanted to know if I was interested in servicing her property along with her other neighbor. I said sure.....And things progressed from there.

I would not say that I am thrilled about the lawn care business. It just sort of happened for me though. I am open to other future business ideas, because I don't know how long my body can take the physical labor (I seem to be slowly falling apart at 32 years of age :laugh:) But I will keep on with my business until something better comes along or until I turn it into a huge operation with several employees..yea right!
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently attending college full time pursing a Bachelors in Marketing. I also own a landscape management company. I am getting a degree to aid me in running my business and to keep my options for the future open. I enjoy working for myself and being able to work outside compared to being stuck in a office all day.
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope more people reply to this one, because it's very interesting to see how many students there are in this green trade, whether green or other.

It's pretty remarkable how people can adapt, switching from one facet to another.
  7. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

You have one of the more artistic (art vice science/mechanics) companies on the site. What's your deal?
  8. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I have degrees in engineering, business admin. I am a CPA. I've been retired (early) several years. I started the business for my grandkids who got their mother's brains and their fathers looks (worst possible combination) My daughter is gorgeous (not just saying that. She's a 36 yo dead ringer for younger a Kristy Ally and Brooke Shields combo. I took her with me one time when the boy was sick and the clients neighbor (old guy) paid her $75 to edge about 30 feet of drive way. Nonetheless, she's not the sharpest tool in the shed. The grandkids now handle most of the works except weed control. I'm adjunct professor of accounting and business law at a local college.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Because I WANTED TO.... no other reason....

This is a very interesting thread by the way.

It should open up a lot of closed minds here....
    In that not everybody does this because it's all they can do.
  10. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I have an double major AS in Spanish and Pre-Medicine, and a BA in Finance with a minor in Economics. I do lawn care because I started it to get me through school and now I have the equipment and the clients, and I enjoy moving around (couldn't be in an office all day). I also do real estate investing and am working toward my appraiser's license. I guess I have broad interests- I love to learn new things and improve on what I know. I am expanding my lawn care this year to do spray applications as well as granular and buying a cab-over truck and hopefully adding another crew, too.
    I also do it for the freedom it allows me. I work out of my home, so I see my wife and kids whenever I want to and don't have to ask for time off to attend my children's events or to watch the kids when my wife is not feeling well or needs to run out on errands. Self employment is a lot of work, but often you can do it when you can fit it in (at night for me). The actual mowing must be on a schedule, but you don't have to be the one doing it.