College... will it work out?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Willofalltrades, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to college next year. I have been accepted to Bowling Green and the University of Akron. I want to go to Akron because it will enable me to continue landscaping. If I go to Bowling Green I start flippin burgers (not really just saying I have to get a job somewhere). My mom says I won't be able to handle it and that landscaping will ruin my "college experience". Shes also worried I will get bad grades becuase I'm worrying about the business to much. Is it possible to go through college while landscaping? I'm going to be picking up anywhere from 30-40 clients this spring .
  2. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Its Either or, Schools more important!
  3. cs12bigfoot

cs12bigfoot LawnSite Member

I did both. I had 30 or so clients when I started college. What I did was arranged my schedule so I could cut either in the mornings or afternoons. I also hustled every weekend to get done. I finally got smart and hired a guy to start cutting for me. Granted he was my cousin so I could trust the work he was doing. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I kept my business up and running so when I graduated I had a stable job to go to. It was tough sometimes trying to study and work but it didn't kill me.
  4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

U of A is a great school I took a few classes there on sales and landscape
  5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Were your grades affected because of the business?
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Focus on the college experience!!!! Yes, I agree with your mother (mothers usually know what is best). There is far more to the college experience than merely finding time to get to classes. This is your one-time shot at college, do not waste it. Rather than spending time with landscaping, use the time to be part of college clubs, help work on committees and teams for events, etc. These experiences will teach you things not learned in the classrooms, things that will help you after the college life.

I've seen too many cases (and read too many threads here on LS) who squeezed classes into a packed schedule, and then spoke later "... college didn't do me any good, it was a waste of time." There is good reason for that conclusion. They didn't put themselves into college, only "took classes."

You may very well quickly learn of other fields of study and interest that are just as important as landscaping, and are able to better use your skill sets. And, fields that will provide a better means of living, for the long term. Maybe not, but you owe yourself the opportunity to explore.
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

It depends how much time you need to spend weekly on your business. For me, I've been taking 18 credits a semester while working for a landscaper at school part time. I only work about 20 hours a week but have plenty of time to work, do my homework, and there's plenty of time left for "the college experience" Sure my grades went down a little when I started working here but my GPA's still above 3 and it's not like I'd be spending the time I'm working studying anyway. Running your own business while in college will take alot more time but it can be done in my opinion.
  8. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Hey bro take it from me, this is my first year in college and I have been doing lawn care and landscaping for the past 2 years. I tryed as best I could to schedule my classes so i'd have a day or 2 with no classes during the week so i could mow. I also mowed all day on saturdays, and some on sundays if peoeple didnt mind (make sure to check with your customers to get permission first)

I mow anywhere between 35-45 accounts during the season. When school starts up its good to have a buddy that is familiar with your clients and routes. 2 guys = much less work. You can get in some pretty tight spots when it rains and sets you back....with extra help you can get alot more done to get caught up.

The money is too good for me to give up when school starts...If i just stop I will loose all my customers for the next spring/summer. I love to mow!
  9. cs12bigfoot

cs12bigfoot LawnSite Member

I didn't have a problem with my grades. I graduated cum laude in landscape contracting and with a minor in business,got licenses in landscaping, pesticide application, tree surgery. It's all about where your priorities are. I wanted to be a landscaper and own my own company. So that's what I strived for.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

the college "experience"? Please...if you want that crap stay home, go to a community college and join the local country club. If mowing is what you enjoy, tell mom to jump in the creek. You are old enough to make your own decisions. I'm 29 and making more now than folks I graduated with who lived it up with the "college experience".