1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Feb 22, 2003.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have two colleges withing a mile of my house. Both of them have internal maintenance departments. I used to work at one of them. It cost them $1891 per cut in labor. Just from walking around it looks like I can get it done in around 60 hrs. So I know I can do it for cheaper than it is costing them when you add in their equipment cost etc to do it plus, I would have it done in 2 days compared to 5 days.

The problem I have had was getting my foot in the door. When I worked in the maintenance department I explained it all out to the head of the department. Basically the guy is power hungry and doesn't want to give up his extra 7 employees that he gets to boss around.

Any ideas of how I could get around him to a higher power that will actually consider contracting out the maintenance without stepping on any toes to badly?
  2. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm understanding you, you want to bid work that is not out for bid? The job you want already has an on site maintenance department, and you've been turned down already by the Department Head. The department has a staff of seven and you think you can do the same work they are doing in 5 days in 2 days. Well it seems you should move on to another job but if you feel you must for whatever reason. Try sending a letter to the Dean.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a college in town also and they have a maintenance group and also have the students work as summer help to defer the tuition cost.
    I have dethatched the baseball field for them but that was a deal with the coaches. I would not want the maintenance contract for this place, first off because it is a private college and they are tight when it comes to subbing out. We also have a lowball fert scab that is spraying for them. I know he is a lowball because I know that the scab has even lowballed a different lowballer. Thats funny.

I don't know if your situation is different but it never hurts to go to the boss of the guy you are talking about. Everyone reports to someone. If there is an advisory board or a board of directors, it may be worth it for you to get some data on paper and start making contacts.
  4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

That is funny!
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Just a thought... if you know a way to save the college money by doing the job faster with less people... why not get paid to do some consulting instead of being paid to shell out THOUSANDS of dollars in equipment for a contract which by law has to go to the lowest bidder?