Colo. Blue Spruce double top..

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by AxlMyk, Mar 23, 2005.

1. AxlMyk

AxlMyk LawnSite Member

I hope this is the right forum for this..

We have a Blue Spruce in our yard that is about 12ft tall now.. It seems to have sprouted a new top, and I am wondering if I could prune one of them off..
    This picture shows what it looks like..
    http://www.geocities.com/axelmike/images/Spruce.jpg
    It has been growing about 1ft per year, and has a beautiful shape.. I don't want to harm the tree, but I don't want it to have 2 tops..
    Since the weather is just starting to warm up, I figured this would be the best time to do something about it, if anything at all..
    TIA

2. AxlMyk

AxlMyk LawnSite Member

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

yes, prune one of those leaders out. If you don't, you'll end up with a double trunk tree that will have a weak crotch and be susceptible to wind damage.

4. AxlMyk

AxlMyk LawnSite Member

Thank you Mike..
    The thinner one is straighter, and is growing more like the tree has in the past few years.. The thick one looks more like the trunk but is a bit crooked..
    Would it matter which one I prune out?

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't matter which one. If you want to remove the crooked one, go ahead. Personally, I remove the one that has the least amount of buds on it.

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto to what Mike said. A few years back I came across a blue spruce exactly like yours. After pruning off one of the leaders I thought that the top looked a bit irregular, but in time it actually corrected itself and appeared symmetrical.

7. AxlMyk

AxlMyk LawnSite Member

I thank you both for your help.. I'll take the pruner and get to it..