1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Colorado pickup sufficient enough?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kl3ankut, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Tandem axle trailers are overrated for just starting out, you could pull the 16 footer tandem though,,, empty ha. Stick to a 6x10 or 6x12. My setup is 6x12 trailer about 850lbs a grandstand 52" about 850-900lbs I believe, push mower, 3 trimmers, 2 blowers prob about 2k-2500 depending on what I'm doing and your truck could handle that. I would start with that. I don't see the need for the 16 footers unless you have 2+ mowers and lots of mulch, topsoil etc. I know though I will be adding another mower then another in the winter... so ill have a tandem axle. But my 6x12 is lighter, easier in tight neighborhoods, and does the job just fine, and I save on gas lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

the 6X12 would be much better for that truck
  3. MowDesign

MowDesign LawnSite Member

My personal truck is an s10 and it can pull 2k easily, but the brakingdistance is a LOT longer. Invest in a 6x12 with brakes and you should be fine for anything you need to do.
  4. kl3ankut

kl3ankut LawnSite Member

Alritey sound good, thanks everyone for the advice, I am going to invest in a 6x12, and work my way up to an enclosed trailer, and a 1 ton dump most likely, I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.
  5. aeration

aeration LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a colorado crew cab with a 4cyl. It has 175 hp. (20 hp less than the V6 in the full size pickups) I pull a 5x10 with 1300lbs of equipment. It gets the job done, but then again, I'm part time only in the aeration season. Check the manual, but I think the towing capacity is around 2900lbs.
  6. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I would go with a 5x10. Plently of room for your equipment. Only reason I wouldnt go with a 5x8 is because they are a pain to back up.
  7. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 4 cyl 4x4 toyota tacoma...160 hp and tows up to 3500lbs...it works fine...i mean i have a 5'x8' trailer...why do you need one any bigger if you only carry one mower?...i put the trimmer, blower , etc. in the back of the truck...5'x8' will hold up to a 54" mower and a push mower with no problem...i mean if you start a crew and need more mowers then you can sell the smaller truck and trailer and get bigger stuff when you have the money to do so