1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

colour for dome light?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by tux, Jan 23, 2001.

1. tux

tux LawnSite Member

i was looking through the plow truck section on the site and noted that the trucks mostly displayed amber coloured flashing lights.i take it that this must be the common colour for plow trucks in most areas,i am assumeing that most of the pics are from the U.S.is this the common colour in most states.
    up here in Northern Ontario Canada we use a flashing blue light. just curious!
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Ohio the blue and red lights are restricted to police and fire/rescue units. Towing and plowing vehicles use amber lights. We do not do road plowing except for private plats that I know of. Our state trucks also use amber lights.
  3. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

Indiana blue/red is police. blue only is volunteer fire and amber is for towing and plowing. I would rather use blue lights they are sharp at night time.
  4. tux

tux LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies guys.here the police/fire use only red lights.the amber lights are used in the summer for road work etc.if a person uses his truck in the summer for any road work they usually have interchangable blue and amber coloured lenses.the blue lights work great at nite in a snow storm,you can really see them from a good distance.
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

I think Ontario is the only province that uses blue lights for plows, here in Nova Scotia MOT uses amber. plow trucks tow trucks etc are allowed amber or green flashing lights.
    Blue and red are police, Only emergency vehicles are now allowed flashing clear.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure which state but I remember driving through the midwest a few years ago. The state trucks were running with blue and amber lights. This may only be allowed on state trucks I am not sure.
  7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ever see a Clear stobe now that is a great strobe. Too bad I can't use it on my trucks.

8. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have all amber and one clear on the back corner and it is bright .