Column Construction Question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about to start planning/building a "test" column that will be part of a bigger picture. Aesthetically I know what what to expect, but I'm looking for input on the structural aspect of construction. The column needs to be 10' tall. they will need to be able to support a moderate load on top (pergola). Veneer over CMU or solid masonry? I'm thinking CMU, but not sure of the type of anchor support I will have? How would you spec your footing? Is 3'X3' overkill, or should I go smaller? I would like to have 2'6" X 2'6"

2. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

The 10' column will be on the ground or on top of a pillar? If it's a column attached to a pergola,I would pour a footing below the frost line in sona tubes(not sure of spelling on that).

3. Captains Landscape

column will be on the ground. Should Rebar run the whole length, bottom of footing-top of column & fill CMU w/ junk and mortar? Details?

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to use rebar for a residential pergola. Will it made of wood? The CMU's should be plenty strong. Now if your worried about gale force winds or hurricanes, you might want to use hollow block and rebar. Fill each course with concrete as you go up. Just the force of the wind alone can cause shaking/vibration that can loosen the blocks and blow the whole thing over.

5. Captains Landscape

Thanks Champ, the pergola will be wood, but heavy at that. On the footings would you do a 4' X 4' for each? I'm not sure if I need to distribute the weight? Should I have this engineered? I have a over-kill is better attitude.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Just do a 4x4 footing below the frost line. Block it up and fill the centers with concrete and you will be fine.

7. Captains Landscape

Thanks rusk. Don't know what made me think of it, but no finished picts of the irregular flagging?

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Actually no. I was there 2 weeks ago when my electrian was hooking up the pillar lights. I went there with the intention to take finsh pics. The damn thing was covered in leaves!