Combining A lawn equipment store with my lawn care company?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B & A Lawn Care, Nov 26, 2007.

1. B & A Lawn Care

B & A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Would i be making a mistake by looking to expand my business into a lawn equipment business. I don't want to compete with other cutters if it would effect one business over the other, or do you guys think it could work, continuing both?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We stopped doing business with one company because he was mowing grass.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

exactly what i was going to say....would you want to pay money to a competitor even if it was through another business its still his profit

4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Its not uncommon around here to see a lawn contractor also a dealer for brand x. The biggest reason for this is to get dealer pricing on the stuff they already run. If a large floor plan and parts inventory are not required it could work for you but don't expect to be selling machines to your mowing competitors.

Scott

5. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

It can be done, but you have to know what you are getting into. The dealer I use for equipt. also ownes a very successful LCO. He keeps them as seperate as possible and runs them under different names. He was actually in the LCO biz first then started up a dealership. As long as you are smart, fair, and opperate both businesses with integrity you should be ok. If you are thinking some LCO's will not deal with you because you own a LCO you are right, but when the dealer they do use does them wrong or doesn't service them like they feel they deserve they may give you a try and if you take care of them and treat them fairly you could win their biz.

6. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

It would seem like being a LCO while simultaneously a power equipment dealer would be a "conflict of interest". A dealer in Griffith Indiana does it and his "business practices" have been called into question.

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah it could work out great because you know how not to treat your customers from the things that you did not like as an LCO from your dealer. But you could be accused of things by a bitter competitor and it could hurt your business even if not true. But I guess that is the same as anything.

But I have a question didn't you just say you where going to expand into cross country subcontracting, so we could all cut your lawns for you or something to that nature?

Oh yeah Lead The way J&T 18X here was going to be 18B.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's bad enough when my dealer gives me the run around or doesn't fix my crap right, but at least I know he had no ulterior motives. He can do what he wants and I don't have to like it, but I sleep easier knowing that regardless of the reason it was most likely nothing to do with me or with my business.

No sir, much like myself the dealers are too one-way for their own good, there's no way this would work out in a sane fashion. It would be an oxymoron, almost hypocritical to do it. Running these two businesses would be like you taking your race car to a mechanic to have it tuned and fixed up for the upcoming race, except he's also going to be your competitor in the next Indy 500...

If you want to be a dealer then get out of being an Lco.
    Or vice versa, but not both.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

There is one close to me that sells BobCat and Ferris...he has been there for a few years so I guess business is good.

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

DON'T worry! Once you sell equipment, you won't go and mow again. If you play your cards right, they are probably the ones who make some of the best coin. In most instances, more than 95% of lcos.

One of the biggest dealers around here once did lawnmowing. I asked him how it went after they changed about 15 years ago. He laughed...

Do it, the best thing for your pocketbook. The only reason we mow is to keep the customer at arms length for the other services that pay tons more.

:)