Combo vs. Dedicated trimmer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tamo, Aug 7, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I was at my dealer today debating on whether to get a dedicated articulating hedge trimmer or the combo with the attachment. I ended up getting the shindaiwa with the attachment.

I loved the grip on the dedicated trimmer and now I'm second guessing my decision.

anyone else here have the shin 231 combo? how do you like it? what about the dedicated trimmer.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a dedicated unit, but the heads are interchangeable anyways. I have since purchased an edger attachment & a hedge trimmer attachment.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I like my Stihl Kombi system very much, but I am going to upgrade to the larger 4 stroke KM130 for more power on new edging jobs. I am interested in getting the chainsaw and hedge trimmer attachment as well. Right now I have the KM55 which is a homeowner unit and lacks power and despite the on/off switch breaking 2 times its been a great machine and has held up well to 2 years of hard use without even a spark plug.
  4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

ONly problem is potential for theft, most racks with exception of the new extrem rack, item can be unbolted and removed. Great system I like having it as a back up to primary items
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I just got a KM130 today with the straight shaft edger attachment to replace my still working KM55...I must say that I would have never thought a 4 stroke could out perform a 2 stroke in the same size range.

The 4 stroke is quieter, more powerful and also smokes less.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Echo HCA 260 has plenty of power for just about any trimming you would need to do and unlike some of echo's engines the 26cc run great from the first pull without the need to warn up. Like anything else in life, if you use it all the time buy a dedicated unit.