"come back later..."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you guys ever get this one?: i pull up at like 9:30 am, start unloading, the guy comes out, bends down and touches the lawn, it's wet with dew. he says, "nope, i don't want you to cut it, come back later when it's dry." i said, "oh, ok, no problem." great, i'm glad he's paid up to date, another one bites the dust. with the 4" of rain we've had recently, and the cool nites, the grass will be growing alot. combined with the leaves.....it should be quite a mess as i blow him off for the next 4 weeks without notice, then dump him altogether. so what do u guys do during periods when dew is real heavy? start at 11-12 am?

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see any reason not to mow, and if they tell me to come back, it's in my contract that unless I get 24 hour notice, they are charged for the visit. so in your case, you can come back, and get paid twice.
    Thing is, I don't see much reason you cannot mow it then?

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have done the same as you did, man...

4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him you are using a very expensive commercial quality lawn mower that is designed to cut wet grass and still leave it looking good.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i aint telling him sh!t. to me, customers like this are expedible. i couldn't care less about them

6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

What do I do? I start late, like 9:30, just like you did.

I've got lawns that will still have a heavy dew at 3:00 pm. Can't possibly wait for all the lawns to be completely dry before mowing. But for MY convenience, I will usually try to hit the sparser lawns earlier, and the lush lawns later.

I have an occasional customer ask "Are you sure it's ok to mow when it's so wet?" (Whether from rain or dew) I usually tell them that as long as I'm not leaving clumps or ruts, there is no problem. I have also said to some of the little old ladies, "For years, some husbands have told their wives, Nope, sorry honey, can't mow--too wet." with a wink.

I have also asked a customer or two "If I wait 'til the lawns are all dry before I mow, and so I can only get in a half day's work, does that mean I can double the price of everyone I keep?"

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't need a customer to tell me when to mow their lawn. How about the ones who demand to have their lawm cut on fridays so it looks good on the weekends? I always tell them it supply and demand. I'll put them on the schedule for friday but i'm going to charge 50% more and I don't want to hear complaining when I show up at 7am on saturday morning because I had a rain day durring the week. F em.

8. My way or the highway ..right then and there ..we cut grass commercially and sometimes it has to be mowed wet ....thats just life here in these united states when you mow commercial.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't do comebacks. If I show up at 7:30 AM and a customer says it's too wet to mow the grass I tell them it's now or next week. Wet grass makes no difference to me. It shouldn't make any difference to them either.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

"come back later, sure no problemo, see ya about this time next week"...