1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

come one come all!! exmark vs. scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsf343, May 10, 2006.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the market for a new w/b and I have narrowed it down to the exmark turf tracer hp, exmark turf tracer, scag swz, or the scag swzu.
    For those of you that have run any of these models I would be very interested in hearing about the goods and bads from your perspective. There are things I like and dislike about both so it is a tough choice. Cost is fairly close on both, dealers are close on both. I am very interested in knowing how they handle in early spring with wet and long grass. Pleeeeeese respond!! I really would love to hear as much about them as possible, the exmark especially. Jeff
  2. jsf343

anyone???????? please help.... especially you exmark people, thanks!
  3. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 2004 Exmark turf tracer 48 inch, and I love it... It cuts very well, the one I got has a 17 kawi... I think you can get them with a 19 though... As far as spring goes, I find myself cutting some yards twice just due to the spring growth, I think you will find that is like that with any mower though. I like how easy it is to change the height of the deck, and I really like the ECS controls... I aint ever had a scag, so I dunno much about them, but I'm sure there just as good. Go to both dealers and test drive all of them and see which one you like the most. The floating deck is great as well...
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

eXmark has ECS controls, they are awsome, my mower is very powerful, easily pulls me on the velke, cuts great, and like previously mentioned, i love the control system! I highly reccomend eXmark

ENDURO LawnSite Member

Which ever one you get, get hydro drive over belt. I got the belt to save money and it's very hard on me. I do love the ecs controls. That was the primary reason I went w/ exmark over scag was the ecs controls and as a bonus it was a few hundred cheaper. If you plan to change your cutting height often, opt for the floating deck so you don't have to remove the blades and add spacers each time. If you don't need to change height, save money and weight and get a fixed deck.
  6. jsf343

Great replies each one of you guys, thank you! I am curious about a couple of other things.....
    1. how does it start in the heat, any vapor lock issues? and in the cold? hard starting? I think they are electronic start any way arn't they?

2. Any truth that you guys have heard on them being discontinued? I read that on an older thread. I am talking the tt w/b's

3. the tthp is nicer or better then the plain tt right? any specific reasons why?
    4.how well does it mulch? the dispersal trail, do you see it or do you have to go over everything 2 times??

thank you again!! Jeff
  7. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

the exmark we run is a champ. its a blet drive not a hydro but structurally its super sound after like 6 seasons. they make a good machine. we also owned a scag hyro and it was good aswell the only thing is that the engine we had on it was a pain 17 kawi (after a few seasons)was hard to start. the only thing that would make a big diff. to me is price.
  8. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I have two Exmark Turf Tracer HP's, a 2001 48" and a 2006 36". I have has pistol grips in the past and absolutely love the ECS and couldnt imagine ever going back. I have velkes on both and use grass gobblers with no problems. I have used my 48" for the last 5 years cutting at least 60+ weekly yards each year and it is still going strong. I have has to do some minor replacements and repairs but nothing big. I would reccommed going with the 19 over the 17 HP on the 48" even though mine has plenty of power for most jobs...more power is always better. I plan on getting another soon and making this one my back-up.
  9. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

ExMark ECS all the way. I am done with ExMark riders for good but they do have the best WB. After you use the ECS you will never want to use anything else.
  10. jsf343

how easy do the velkes go on and come off? very time consuming? the grass goblers the alumminum catchers? How easy is it to change the blades?? I think I will go with 1 of those babies. How easy are the controls to use? sorry about all the ????????'s just trying to learn as much as I can before I jump.