comercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, May 17, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

hey i got another question
    You have to remember that im only 15 this cutting season but anyway is there anywa i could get some small comercial accounts i cant really do mulsh and tress but i can do bushes an fertilixing and mowing do you think io could get any jobs would this be legal?

2. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

:) Fifteen you say. I think it is great to see the enthusiasm at such a young age.:)
    Do yourself a BIG favor and stay in school as long as you can. There will be plenty of time to do this stuff. Go to college and major in a related field. There are many good colleges that have programs in agriculture, horticulture etc.

:blob3: I hope you take my advice:blob3:

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Your probly not going to get any commercial accounts without insurance. There is alot of liability on commercail sites, I have 1 commercail building and everytime we are there, there are alot of cars and people roaming around and if you catch one rock or something and it takes out a car window or hits a person :( well thats bad. I think you should wait a little while before you try to get some commercials. ;)

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dont bother approaching commercials without a million dollar policy,at the minimum.This is why I like them,I dont lose them to young guys, -not there is anything wrong with you or any work you do.It's just tough to compete on an unlevel field,if you know what I mean.I would keep your grades up,and look toward business or horticulture majors..It might be good experience to work for an LCO in your area,you might gain years of hard earned experience quicker,you might be able to pick up some tips from the boss.Good luck.

5. you are 15 now? so i would assume that you are just starting high school? i was at in your shoes not all that long ago. go to school, make friends, get good grades, play sports, have a girlfriend, make some money but dont go crazy. if i could go back to high school and do it over again that would be great. all i did was worked. never really made any friends or anything. and my high school was big $$$ so take it easy for now. maybe go to work for somebody and learn some good stuff. i was your age when i started climbing trees.
    as for the commercials: get liscenced and insured before you go for that stuff. stick to small homes for now and doing small side work. even be carefull with fertilization and cutting lawns and stuff. if you put certain things down and pets get out onto the lawn or whatever you may be in for a new 600 dollar cat. so think twice before you say yes to work. i have my insurance now so i am ok. at your age insurance and what not will be hard. i know from experience at 17.

something to think about: if you go and cut a lawn, mower picks up a rock, rock hits bystander in head, person goes down, person dies. you have no insurance, your parents are liable for you still at this age. your parents are in for a crud load of money and could lose the house. you are homeless at 15, no home, no bed, no computer, no lawnsite. just think about that. take on jobs that are low risk for now.

have fun this year.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you have the "right stuff" ...but please do as said ...stay in school ...education is the key to success ....but to answer your ?? NO you can not be held to a binding agreement until 18 (Contracts) ....you can sign one ....but neither party will have a binding agreement ....besides why would you want the head ache .....gain the experience ...good luck ....in 3 more years you'll be kickin grass ;->

7. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

If only half the kids your age were as enthusiastic..

I agree with everyone that at 15 your a little too early for anything commercial for all the above reasons. I've got a 17 year old working for me part time. He goes to school takes AG and Hort. and he will probably go to VO-tech and take Horticulture. Any way what I want to say is keep doing all that you can without getting over your head, maybe get some part time work with an LCO and be that much further ahead when your 18. Also, don't forget to take a little Business management....You need that back office stuff too...:)

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i understand i just wanted to see if i could