comercial insurance on truck

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by blind04, Mar 8, 2008.

1. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

ok, i am getting ready to renew my auto insurance policy. i have a car and my work truck. i have never had comercial coverage on my work truck as no regular insurace comepany does comercial coverage. so i am wondering if i am not taking a really big risk here not having comercial on my truck that pulls my 18' trialer and equip. i have had my lawn care buisness for 7 years and do everything right, i am fully chemically certified, i have a million dollar umbrealla liability coverage and always have. but i am just wodering what every one out there thinks on this. i have heard that if i get in an accident my insurance company might not pay. is this true?

2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

When I switched to commercial coverage for my vehicle it actually saved me a little money. I think you should review costs and coverage with the insurance companies.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Mark is right. My commercially covered truck is less to insure than my daily driver.

4. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

sweet! this is good to hear. what company did you go thru? if you dont mind me asking.

5. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

American Family for me- definitely disclose the use of the vehicle. If you use it 50% for personal, tell them and they will get the right blend of coverage. Very important to let them know so they can build a policy to suit. They should be on your side before you need to file a claim, so make sure they are there.

6. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hey proent, which company do you go through - I am in CT also and was just looking into this and the quotes I have found are for less coverage than I have now and it will be about $1200. more per year. Granted that is covering the same truck for use in plowing in the winter also, but my commercial liability is seperate and more money. i was shocked that it was that much more for just the truck.

7. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

commerical insurance is cheaper than regular insurance in nj

8. Island LawnScapes

Island LawnScapes LawnSite Member

Progressive Commercial is who I use here in Florida, mixed coverage for business as well as personal use. I also included my enclosed lawn trailer, dump trailer as well as the trailer for my stump grinder. Reasonable rates and no more worries about an accident and if my auto insurance would cover.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

do commercial and you can tie it in with your liability ins and other business ins...also like everyone else has said it is cheaper

10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Well not everything. Do yourself a favor and get your truck a commercial policy. While your at it check on your states laws, cause they vary, but you may require a personal auto as well.

Sorry, but not having one cause your personal auto company doesnt offer it is the poorest excuse ive ever heard. Your talking about your lively hood hear, that is not something to be taken lightly.