comfort on ztr's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jfoster, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jfoster

jfoster LawnSite Member

I broke my back about a year ago and cant't retern to my previous line of work. I was just woundering how the ztr's are on the lower back. I know I can do the trimmine and edging. I just don't know if I can handle the ridding.

Any help would be great. :) :)

2. Sasquatch52

Sasquatch52 LawnSite Member

Some mowers have custom ride suspension seats. payup But they are pretty expensive. :angry:

3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

If you can trim and blow you can handle the ride. If for some reason you can't there is always a suspension seat.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on how much mowing you do, they can be HARD on your back. I don't care WHAT kind of seat you have. Yes, the suspension seats help, but 6 to 8 hours a day can beat your back to death on the right conditions. Another option you may want to look into, would be a stander. Aleast then, you have flex in your knees. The only problem with that, is that you're standing al the time, and flexing your knees. If you could do a little bit of both, THAT would be the ticket.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try a stand on mower????

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Speaking from someone with a back problem...

I've riden two different brand ZTR's. One had a suspension seat the other didn't. We demoed them side by side on the same accounts for one day. Needless to say after about 10 minutes on the 'bumpy' yard I stopped the machine and yelled over to my brother "I'm done demoing this one on this account." That isn't a joke either.

I can ride my ZTR with the suspension seat all day. Granted, there are a few bumps that if going fast enough you will feel them. IMHO, its really no worse than driving your truck...provided you take it easy and are familar with your accounts.

7. jfoster

jfoster LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info it looks like the suspension seat is the way to go. :)

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing to take into consideration, and there are guys on here that can vouch with me on this....On the Exmarks, the suspension seat is a great thing. HOWEVER, the standard seats are REAL soft in the cushion (unlike the suspension seats). Now, what MANY people have experienced, is that if you just get the standard seat, THEN put the suspension KIT on it, you end up with the best of both worlds. Maybe someone can chime in here that has one of each.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Not the new one. I think they call it the Michigan seat.

John

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Michigan seat??? I know I've put a Michigan shaped print on my GIRLFRIEND'S seat a time or two, but I don't think this has anything to do with it... :p