Comfortability of bp blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Mar 19, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm definitely buying a new bp blower this upcoming weekend and I'm just wondering what you guys think is the most comfortable blower. Base this on weight, comfortability on your back, location of throttle. I'm leaning toward the Echo PB-603 but what do you guys think. I'm trying to get the guy to about $340 instead of a sale price of $369. (No Redmax or Shindaiwa dealers by me). I don't need the PB-650 becuse I don't have the money plus it just seems like to strong of a blower just for everyday mowing. It should be only use for leaves. Please give me your thoughts and opinions

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

what do u consider comfortable lol? they dont hurt, i guess they are ok

3. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

PB-600 is my choice, little bulkey,but all around does OK.....:alien:

4. lawnkid

I mean after a long day of work you're not complaining about how uncomfortable and heavy your blower is. (straps on blower)

5. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnkid,

I said its a little bulky, but a hand held blower will not do
    me any good. So I have to deal with... how heavy my blower
    is @ the end of the day? I already paid for it. Hope this
    helps.........:D

6. Commander

Commander Banned

I think that the best bet is to shift back packs around during the course of the year. I have right now Stihl, Echo, and Redmax. I will be picking up another Redmax or a Shindiawa this year. I feel that if you have a variety of blowers it will be better for you. You don't really need anything with lots of power during the regular cutting season. Those blowers are generally lighter in weight. Then you have a few blowers around for clean up times. Those are heavier but also have much more power. If you are gonna be wearing a back pack blower all day you are gonna feel it, don't be suprised when you do. When you are taking it off and putting it back on again during the course of the day you don't really feel it that much. Make sure you get some comfortable straps with lots of padding in them.

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

That additional $120 to upgrade to the PB650 might be the best $100 you can spend.

The amount of TIME spent on clean-up (Both Spring/Fall and after mowing) would pay for itself in short order.

I know you're not a Gates, Rockefeller or Allin, but buy something that you can keep long term that will be a money maker.

As far as comfortable, the 650 will get your work done faster and off your back faster.

8. lawnkid

Sorry Nelson, I meant to STSLawncare. Sorry bout that

9. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I love my John Derre BP50. It is light has a huge fuel tank and great power. Plus it keeps my back cooler than most i have tried. Go look at one and you will see what i mean.

10. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I love my stihl 420. I ran an older Echo and to me it was heavy. The new stihl is lighter and the controls are very comfortable. 65Hoss tested some a few blowers before he bought his redmax. The Stihl does very well on fuel to me. I've done a few leaf jobs with it and love it. I haven't ran the new echo's but i will say my older one was very heavy and could kill your back after running it for a long time doing a cleanup. Price retail is 399 but some dealers give discounts. Your best thing you can do is to go to a dealer and check some out side by side.

Scot