comfortable ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by block, Aug 5, 2004.

1. block

block LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new ZT. I tried out a Dixon and it beat me to death. I tried out a front mount Grasshopper and the ride is much smoother. I am going to try out a Ferris ZT with the independent suspension but I will have to drive 55 mile to do so. Does anyone have any experience with a Ferris with independent suspension? Does it really make that much of a difference? Will it give a comparable ride to a front mount mower?

2. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Have you tried Toro or Exmark

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

if you have a Snapper dealer close by look into the Snapper Fastback Pro, nice machine. Have had mine for 2 months and love it.

Buck

4. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Try the Grasshopper Midmount Series (200 series I think) - the one I demo'd rode the smoothest of all of them, including a Ferris 3000 Independent. I did not like the cut as well on the Ferris which was very important, more important to me than the ride. However, even its ride wasn't any great bag of chips either. Smooth but not overwhelmingly so.

I really, really liked the Grasshopper I demo'd (a 227/60") but the dealer was from another planet. But if you like the front mount series (too long in my view) I think you'll like the mid mounts just as much.

You should also try the Deere Mid and Max Trak ZTR's - they ride VERY well, even with a non-suspended seat as long as you keep proper air pressure in the tires.

Also, give Hustler a serious look - they are awesome machines too.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think you will find that the Grasshopper front mount will ride better than any midmount on the market. With the longer wheelbase, a better ride is a given. The longer wheelbase, and extra set of trailing wheels, also give the front mount a big advantage on quality of cut. Almost any front mount will give a nicer, more even cut, on rough ground than a midmount. The Ferris suspension will give a smoother ride and worse cut than most midmounts in really rough conditions. The suspension just allows too much movement up and down when in rough conditions. Now, it is ok for uneven conditions, but not rough ground. Very few folks around here use Ferris, and most that do, wish they had something else.

6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Hey Block, I have to apologize man, I mis-read your post. Didn't realize that the basis for your purchase was a smooth ride. Mine is like most Z's fairly rough although it does have a spring loaded seat that helps considerably. I've heard that Ferris is a pretty nice riding unit, good luck in your search.

Buck

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run (2) Ferris IS-4000. If ANYONE thinks they have a better ride than something with 4 wheel independent suspension, they're flat out wrong.

Take a 1972 3/4 ton pickup and drive down a washboard dirt road, then do the same with a 2004 3/4 ton, no brainer.

Anyways, the ride is great, although you do have to kind of mess around with the suspension after 1000 hours or so, since it will settle some and your cut with start to sag a little on hills.