comments on diesel

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tomo, Oct 30, 2006.

1. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, please comment on your experience with the Toyota owned diahatsu ,briggs& stratton diesel 950cc available in Toro ,older Exmark xp ,Scag [turbo version] and there r others .

Tomo:waving: :waving:

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

other than they are about the smoothest running diesel I have heard. Never worked on on though.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have one in a Scag Sabretooth tiger. Replaced the glow plug relay under warranty at about 100 hours. Other than that it has been flawless. Has 250+hours on it now.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the extra $$$ for a Diesel then I would say get it!!!:cool2:

5. khouse

this is just my thought on diesels. i love diesel engines. they are easy to work on and last 4 to 5,000 hours. Are they worth the extra cost - yes and no. yes if the machine your putting it will last that long. no, if it won't. Like on a tractor where the machine will last as long or longer than the engine then yes. some companies trade or sell off thier machines in 1 to 3 years with maybe 1000 to 2000 hours on it or less. this in my opionion is not effiecenty using up a diesels life. a gas engine is about done at this time. usually a commercial mower with this many hours on it needs a lot of repair all the way down to loose bushings and frame cracks ect. but if your going to have the mower say 3 to 5000 hours then yes a diesel would be the best choice. i know that you have to figure in fuel effiecency on a diesel -but for the added cost of the diesel in a mower you could buy a lot of gas. This is just my opionion. I know some will dissagree.

6. tomo

Hello. thanks every body 4 comments ,and keep them coming .
    Yes we all have different opinions on diesel ,but that decision has all ready been made .
    It is a different market in oz than usa ,the price strutures are way different eg one dealer quoted a price 4 replacement kohler 33 % higher than sourcing a kubota diesel engine else where . Kawisaki engines r cheaper to purchase than kohler [even at normal prices ].
    Not entirely happy with diahatsu engine as Kubota is a slightly better product imo .On paper the kub is more economical than diahatsu as well. Both better than gas .
    Due to mowers being so overpriced in oz you then have to keep them a long time to make your money .Wheels have to fall of b4 i will by another:laugh: :laugh:
    I can by a new tow vehicle [utility] 4 the price of a new mower !!!!!
    If the mower companies would use the gas engine equivalent to the diesel i may reconsider choice [many gas/ diesel engine blocks r the same with different cylinder heads etc kubota/diahatsu etc
    TOMO PS any more comments from scag owners would be appreciated :waving: :waving:

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The 07 Turf Tigers will have 25HP Kubota diesel engines as an option. In my opinion the Scags are built heavy enough to last as long as the diesel engines. As I have stated, I have a Diahutsu diesel in a Scag sabre tooth and a Yanmar diesel in a John Deere tractor. I have competitors who trade as soon as the warranty runs out, so they are better off with the cheapest, disposible mower they can buy. Kinda goes with todays throw away society. But I'm from the old school. Buy the best you can afford and keep it till completely used up. Its much cheaper in the long run. Whither your talking cloths, vehicles, tools, or what ever. For example my zippo lighter is older than most LCO's on here. My '89 chevy pickup has 245,000 miles on it and my 2002 chevy pickup has 115,000 miles on it. My '70 chevy pickup that I bought new had 325,000 miles on it when I sold it. My tool box I bought new in 1973. Some of my craftsman and snap-on tools are older than that. So back to the origional question. As a Diesel engine mechanic/truck driver/Navy Seabee/Caterpiller shop foreman who has been around trucks and all types of equipment for most of my life (lawn care took the place of farming 9 years ago), I believe if you in this for the long haul, and do large commercials etc, that diesels are the way to go. Running a steady rpm for hours at a time are what diesels do best. Thats also what I do best. Like the old story about the tortise and the hare.

8. tomo

hello,
    dito,
    I guess we think the same .In this country diesel costs roughly the same and not much less even with the tax rebate .As the purchase price is high resale is high .The most important fact is the diesel engine lasts longer and the biggest gain they r way way more reliable than gasers. ssh ssh do not tel any body. ha ha . Interesting fact is that ozzy people tend to keep there motor vehicles longer than almost any other western country . This also applies to equipment [mowers etc]Mainly due to cost of replacement i would assume . Did i mention that i would consider importing a mower [equal or larger than 72] This gives u some idea of how expensive they are.

tomo:waving: :waving: :drinkup:

9. khouse

tomo,
    is there not any equipment manufactures in your country? if there is then why are they units so costly?
    Yes, it sure sounds like diesel is the way to go for you.

10. tomo

hello, my appologies 4 not geting back to u sooner.
    Zero makers of diesels/gasers in oz .If u think the usa manufactures are slow to catch on the few mower companies here must have never even seen a contractor b4 they started producing:hammerhead: .Most of the products require some serious changes b4 u would use them to earn money.
    Many imported machines only have a warehouse 4 local reference,in other words very very little cust support . As a result of this it does limit the choices alot. You would have read the experiences of other ozzies on L/Site.
    This makes interesting reading and highlights the brands not to buy !!!!
    The mower companies who do have more than a warehouse are good but they still do not have great depth and references to the usa parent Co. is usally needed .

tomo:waving: :waving: