Comments on Generac motor ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Sep 2, 2006.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking ( just thinking ) of buying a dixie with the Generac motor and need some feed back . I have 2 choices of mowers brands now that dealer has switched One being Ferris and other being Dixie . Tested both and really like them both , need some feedback

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have one on a 72" Tank and lots of power. It likes gas and does not like rain because it will not start. It has over 1100 hrs and still running smooth.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Even if they made the best engine on the planet, I could not recommend them. Every time I need a part for a generac engine it involves calling them to either get a parts breakdown or figure out what part goes on that particular engine. And then they are about clueless when it comes to the engines. They keep asking for the numbers off the generator that the engine is on...

Their dealer startup kit includes a disc and some paper manuals that cover almost nothing I ever see. Seems every one I get in for service is one I dont have a parts manual for.

Until they get a parts lookup system similar to what Kohler, Briggs, and Kawasaki have online or at least a complete fiche, paper or CD that includes every engine they have ever made I will continue to steer people away from them.

In short...stay away. Get a Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs Vanguard, Honda...

4. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

5. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

A friend had two of them die on his dixie under warranty. He finally had the dealer install a kohler instead.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You have scag listed whatz up with that.

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer lost the scag line < area dist, put it in a larger store. John deere dealer named reynolds euip. is now the dealer and i refuse to do business with them as i have had trouble with them in past . My business cant stand to have a mower in the shop for 2 weeks being worked on . They dont even have a clue about scag as since the scag line went there i have tryed to get parts 3 times .... 2 times the parts had to be shipped to me as they didnt have them ( simple idler pully and a deck belt ) and the other time i went to get a oil filter ( 24 horse honda ) They didnt know this motor didnt use a honda filter it uses after market filter dist by scag because it has a remote filter on it , and all they said was damn we didnt know that . You would think if you are going to sell the line you should know at least something about it .I flat refuse to by anything new from them and i will be phasing my scag mowers out to a different brand such as a dixie or ferris . I hate to do this as i have been running Scag for 13 years but damn my business cant tolerate the crap the new dealer is pulling. If all the commercial cutters in muncie switch from scag to what ever old dealer is selling now they will be alot of red or silver mowers out there instead of orange

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I see,generac talk is they are a top moter they are a few here that run dixie choppers.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've got a couple generac motors but on generators and pressure washers and in the 6-7 yrs that I've had them not once have they failed me or needed any repair. I like them and will buy them again. Kohlers is the engine that had all the trouble in the 90s that I would never own again.
    But to each his own.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think when they first started putting them on Dixie's they had some problems.
    But as I understand it, all that is behind them.
    I believe that is also the reason so many models are out there.

A friend of mine who is a Dixie tech loves them.