1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Comments on Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jake65, May 18, 2006.

1. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

I am about to drop $8900 on a 2006 Gravely 260z with XDZ options. Any one use the new 260's yet?

2. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have:) Great machine. Very well built.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

What engine are you looking at getting on it?
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Have you owned a Gravely in the past to compare how the changes effected the new models?
  5. Husky03

I own the 34Z in the picture and I plan to buy the 260Z after I get a new trailer. I have not tryed one of the older 60" Gravley's, but I can tell you without hesitation that I think this machine is built better than any others that I have seen. I am not an expert on cut quality because I have only limited experience with other machines, but the 260Z is built like a tank. The pivoting front axle is very nice along with the suspension seat combine for an excellent ride. In case you were wondering that machine is $8500 at my local dealer.
  6. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

The motor is a 25 kawi. I can get it with a 26 liquid, I believe or a 27 Kohler I was looking at the the difference in the standard 260 and the XDZ package. The standard 260 is as much as the XDZ with a hydraulic lift on the deck where as the XDZ is manual but with larger pumps on the hydo and cooling on the oil and a couple other upgrades. They both come with the new X factor deck design standard on both. Basically I am debating the hyraulic lift vs the upgrade options on the XDZ series. Any thoughts/

7. Husky03

The one I have in the picture has the hydro deck lift and it is a very nice feature, but when I purchase the mower I will go with the XDZ liquid cooled 26 HP or 27 HP if it is available with the foot lift deck. I am young and it is not worth the extra money to me to get the hydro lift. The deck will get heavy after using it all day, but I know I can handle it. Also, anytime you add a hydro component to anything you are running the risk of expensive repairs where as with the spring assisted foot operated you don't have to worry about this. I did notice some engine bogging when I got into the really tall stuff with the 25 HP Kawi, but it still cut it with no problem. There was not a single straggler left behind. I hope this mower mulches as well as it side discharges because I am a mulcher year around. I don't see how you can make a residential lawn look nice witha side discharger when the grass is tall. Anyways, that's my opinion. If you have any other questions let me know.
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I really like my '05 260Z. I have the Kaw LC 26, It does seem to be a little underpowered especially when climbing hills, but is great 95% of the time.
    Another problem I am starting to encounter is in the belt (slipping) for the Hydro pumps. They used a serpentine belt, but i am pretty sure they switched that over to a double V belt for '06.

In thick grass, even when wet the mower does great. Overall I think it is a great mower, and I especially like the flexibility in cut height allowed by the hydro lift. However, when mowing thin grass the deck does not seem to have the suction needed to lift and cut. It seems to lay a lot of the grass down, especially the grass which was run over by the front wheels.

One MAJOR problem that I did have with my mower is when purchased the hydraulic pump on one side would experience cavitation within the pump when I attempted to slow down. This would cause the mower to be uncontrollable. After nearly 6 months of weekly phone calls to gravely headquarters they replaced the pump. I know this is not an isolated experience. During the time when my mower was "being worked on" I used several other "demo" mowers - all of which had the same exact problem, just not as severe. I have used a 2006 model and it too has this problem. Hydro-gear is supposed to be working on a solution, but as far as I know Gravely is still producing mowers with this problem.

For those of you who have a Gravely and would like to see if yours does this...
    - drive down a hill at full throttle, full speed on the bars.
    - pull the throttle all the way back while leaving the bars forward.
    -- You will notice that the right side continues to travel faster for longer than the left side of the mower.
    PM me or e-mail me for more tests or more detailed tests - or - who to contact at Gravely to get this issue resolved.

I know i started off saying I like my mower and I do. They have completely corrected the cavitation issue on my mower. I will buy Gravely again but will be cautious in doing so.
  9. Husky03

Yes, I have noticed this with My Gravely also. It does not cause any problems though. You also notice it if you try to engage the blades while traveling forward. The mower with jerk to the left.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I run 3 Gravely ZTR's on a weekly basis - for the intended purpose, great machines.
    I like Gravely's, they are built well, and seem to be supported well too.
    Basically, commercial machines are just that - it is the dealer support that seperates what you buy and from whom.