Commercial 21" for 1/4 acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fredmullegun, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have an estimate how long it would take to mow 1/4 acre with the exmark commercial 21"?

They are 899 at my dealer now and I checked them out buying some stuff for my trimmer. I had awesome experience moving from a homowners trimmer to a echo 280T so was wondering about this thing.

thanks

2. zanemoseley

zanemoseley LawnSite Member

Lets see how my math is:

Mowing deck = 21" or 1.75 feet wide
    Walking speed = 3 mph = 15,840 feet/hr
    Max square feet mowed per hour 27,720 = .63 acres
    .25/.63 = .396 hrs = About 24 minutes

So round up to 30 minutes for turning, trimming and overlapping.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

i got 28 minutes and 34 seconds by my calculations

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't waste my money on buying a commercial 21" Just get a toro personal pace or Husqvarna 21"

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree with this

6. zanemoseley

I have a Troybilt 21" that I mowed about an acre with for 2 years and at times hated it between the clogging chute and the drive belt coming off. I say if you have money to burn buy the Exmark or Honda and take care of it, it should last a long time. If you'll feel the pain from dropping a grand then buy a $300 HD/Lowes like I have and deal with the occasional PITA.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

A troybilt is the bottom of the barrel.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with this also !!

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Well, this may be true ... however, I've had for 5 years now and it's still going strong !! Let's see ... $ 330 price of mower / 5 years old = $ $66 per year ... sounds like a pretty good return to me. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

10. zanemoseley

Yeah my self propelled Troy Bilt with a Honda was $350 I think, I hardly call this bottom of the barrel. Perhaps a Weedeater $100 mower. If I had the money I'd rather buy a $1000 commercial and make it last 15 years than buy a $350 mower that lasts 5 years. Perhaps I'm just, 2 years of constantly shoving my hand in a gunked up discharge chute to pull out grass pulp and cramming my hand in a poorly designed belt shroud to re-seat the drive belt has put me in a bad mood. I might add that I've just got to use my Toro 40" hydro floating deck on my new yard twice and its an absolute pleasure to use.