1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial 21 Lawnboy question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, May 7, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard it is possible to adjust the governor speed on a lawnboy mower with a quick turn of a screw? Knob? The problem is I'm not sure which screw or if it is possible on my model.

1999 lawnboy 2 cycle 6.5 horse. (The kind with the big orange gas tank)

The mower works fine, but has lost some of its original power.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Look for a white round quarter shaped disc between the air cleaner box and the engine. I believe you turn it clock wise to speed it up, but not positive. Only turn it a couple clicks at a time. That should do it for you.

3. Toroguy

Thanks Matt.

I will use that tomorrow morning.
  4. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

toroguy- sounds like we have the same mower i drop mine off at my house one day and came back and all the gas was on the garage instead of in the tank, just be careful. I haven't gotten it back from repair so i don't know what caused it. FYI.
  5. Toroguy

Do let us know what caused that...your lucky the mice don't smoke.

Now Im worried:eek:
  6. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i will toroguy once i get it but with mother's day, my parents anniversary, and nana's b'day i'm not really worried about getting it back this week since i don't need to make money tell next week. ttyl

once i realized it was leaking from lawnboy and not something else i turned the gas off and that stopped it. That is a directly under the gas tank and it is kinda like a wing nut that screws up.

7. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Yup, a little while wheel..... look behind the carb, you'll see it. turn it clockwise to rev it up but only a few clicks, It does wonders.
  8. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem in mine. It was a bad or dirty needle and seat in the carb.
  9. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Just want to thank you for bringing up this subject. I had the same problem with mine and was going to take it in next week. Got out there last night, found the disc, turned two clicks and was back in business. Man I love this place.
  10. Toroguy

I made the adjustment and it works like new...I needed to pick up some carb cleaner so I could see what was what.

HLC and others,

The man formerly known as Casey also gave a good tip regarding the discharge chute. Remove the anti-scalp brace for better discharge, it works much better. Be careful on hilly areas, it will scalp if you do not keep front of deck "up".

Thanks again.