commercial 21\" mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wildwood, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Wildwood

Wildwood LawnSite Member

I've used (and abused) many Toro residential mowers, usually consining them to the bone yard after one season.
    Can anyone recommend a good commercial grade 20 - 21 " self-propelled mower with good warrantee?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. I am sure you will find all the info you are looking for and more here. Try the search function and enter something like 21 inch mowers or trimming mowers or push mowers- something like that and you will find what you are looking for. :)
  3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 21" Toro Pro-Line Commercial mower. It has a 2.5 bushel bag and the 4.5 2 cycle Suzki engine. Run's great and stripes nice too. I have used it for two seasons without any problems. Cost was $899.00 for it. I really think it will last for many,many years. I will buy another when this one gives out. All I can say is it is one heavy duty mower, that was built to run for hours at a time. One cemetary in my town has 12 of them, and they put the local convicts behind them and run them non stop all day. That's what I am looking for in a mower. To each his own. Some would rather buy the $99 specials and replace them every year. Not me!!!!!!
    Good Luck,
  4. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

I agree with mowman, I have 3 toro proline's. Just plain good mowers, but thats my choice. When looking, look for steel wheels, grease zerts, thick decks. MY three are 6,4 and 2 years old and all all in good shape( paint needs work!)and I plan on having them for quite some time.
  5. I have two of the self propelled versions of what the mowman has in his fleet.

One was purchased new in 1989. That machine has gone thru at least one carb, handle and I had to replace the deck (a rock hit a stress crack and made the unit a side discharge machine).

The only one was a orphan (same model and year as above only a few numbers apart)I found at the local dirt dealer.
    Some scrub brought it in for service and never picked it up.
    I paid the repair bill $250(for a new tranny) and walked away with a low hour unit for the price of a new consumer P.O.S. I have to take this engine apart this spring and install new crankcase seals to get it back to 100%.

This mowers are the best by far to use as mulching machines.
    They bag well too but the bags are harder to empty vs. a Honda commercial.

If you are going to mulch buy a Commercial Toro.
    If you are going to bag buy a Commercial Honda.

If you buy anthing else you will pay for it in lost production and downtime.
  6. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Commercial Toro is the way to go. 2 cycle or 4, really doesn't matter. These are the best 21" mowers on the market right now.
  7. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

I have had my Toro Proline for almost 10 years ,only thing I regret is not going for the selfpropelled model.Mine is the 2 stroke always starts and goes forever on a tank of gas.The bagger works great for me ,I also got the removable side discharge chute for those wet days .It slipped out of my hands once ,ended up going over a stone embankment I thought it was history.Only damage was a bent wheel adjuster no deck damage at all.I started it back up and finished up the lawn.One thick aluminum deck!
  8. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

How do you like the discharge kit for your proline? I have a Exmark 21" with the 6.5 hp briggs on it. And I've been thinking about getting the side discharge kit for it.
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Airens hands down for me. Tried snapper, lawnboy and toro, I will never go back to any other.
  10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Suprised not to see John Deere commercial 21. It is a good machine that takes abuse. Almost all the commercial guys here use Toros or JD. None others that I have seen. The JD is a 4 cycle with pressurized lube and good 3 way abilities. Hope this helps. By the way I have a toro proline, had it for many years. like it lots too. when it goes i will get a deere since the 2 cycle will probably be gone due to the environment thing.