Commercial 21" Toro

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by All_Toro_4ME, Sep 21, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully Restrorob will see this. One of my Toros (21" walkbehind commercial) transmission is not smooth when mowing. All of the zerks have been greased at normal intervals for the maintenace, rear wheels and gear box. Its kinda hard to describe, but the best way I can paint the picture is basically if you were in a car and going along, and then about every 2 seconds or so, hit the breaks, and then the gas, and the breaks, then the gas, and continue to do this infinitely til you got to your destination, then that pretty much describes what this jumpy effect of the transmission for my Toro is doing. Any thoughts as to why it is doing this, or what the problem could be. I bought it in May of this year.

2. All_Toro_4ME

bump to top.....

3. All_Toro_4ME

2nd bump... surely someone.....

4. All_Toro_4ME

no takers... bump to top

5. MFS

MFS LawnSite Member

does it still have a warr

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, Get my new glasses next week.....

Check the engagement cable adjustment, Could have stretched and now not fully engaging.

Remove the wheels and check for any debris in the drive ratchet assemblies causing them to stick.

The above items are not covered under warranty.

If both these check fine it would be a internal trans. problem and should be covered under warranty so take it to your dealer.

Cya

7. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I am betting it is not the transmission. I have never seen a transmission go bad in our prolines.

My vote is for the gear pinion, and back tire gears. See my post on replacing these: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=198977

The symptoms of worn gear pinions is choppy acceleration, the wheels not turning at the same speed, or choppy grinding type noise.

Hope this helps.

8. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check belt for large chunk missing and don't laugh check the pulley on the top of the trans for mulch or debris stuck in pulley groove(have seen it on more then a couple of occasions)

9. All_Toro_4ME

Thanks guys, and restrorob. I will check it tomorrow and let you know what I find out. And yes it is still under warranty.

10. All_Toro_4ME

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. I tried the suggestions mentioned here, mainly the gear pinions in the rear tires and switched them out. Not sure how to check the engagement cable adjustment. There wasn't any debris in the wheels. Still had the problem. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong, so they greased it and changed the oil and called me the next day. Any other suggestions as to why this transmission is jumpy? Thanks.