commercial 21"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmcat, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

which brand do you guys prefer for your 21's? I have only used Honda and Toro, they are both ok, but I prefer the toro. Is there something better out there?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Short answer is "NO" Toro and Honda are the best out there and I prefer Toro.

3. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

any opinions on the new 4-stroke version as opposed to the old suzuki 2-stroke?

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

The 21" Toro 22164 with KAWI 6hp looks intriguing to me as it either shares or is based on the dealer-only sold 20055 Super Recycler deck. Side discharge to the right is SOOO superior to rear-discharge to the left it's unfair to even compare them.

Consider a 20055 Super Recycler (~$550)... Have been impressed with the Briggs 6.75hp...never had a problem aside from a gunked up carb once in awhile...as easy fix. With the Atomic/Gator blades (for leaves and dry grass only) I bagged nearly no leaves this last Fall...AMAZING! These have an easy fold-up handle as I need this to fit it under my truckbed topper.

2 strokes stink, literally. Durable yes, but stinky...ALL day.

.02 // YMMV

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay with TORO .

6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

The recyclers and super recyclers are not commercial.

7. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Where is all of love for Hondas coming from? They barely last for the typical homeowner. When I first started mowing just a few residential accounts I got the high end Honda and it sucked very badly. I ended up with a Husqvarna commercial that uses the 6 h.p. Kawasaki and a 3 spd. gearbox that can take a grenade and keep going. They basically looked at the commercial Toro and perfected it even more. Toro is pretty though.

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I love honda never had any major problems, Toro is a good brand too

9. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Eastman SP21K is awesome! Built like a tank, but around the same weight as Toro and Honda! I like mine very much and especially like that it was about $400 less than my last Toro commercial.

10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

That DFW guy had a thread about his entire fleet of honda 21's. They were all blowing the tranny and going half speed etc, his guys didn't like it because they get paid by the yard. He was always buying new trannys for them and was considering replacing all the mowers to Toros at a loss of 17k.