Commercial 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sethsodsquad, Aug 6, 2004.

1. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

I am trying to decide between the new Ariens 21" SCHB, Toro Proline 21" WPS, and the Exmark 21".

The Ariens is cheaper, but it doesn't seem like it's commercial grade. The Toro and Exmark are much more expensive though.

I would be getting the Kawasakis on the Toro and Exmark and the Briggs and Stratton Pro on the Ariens. Is the B&S even really "commercial grade?"

Also, I need the handles to fold down on the mower, whichever one I choose. I know the Ariens can do this, but can the Toro and/or Exmark do this also?

Thanks,
    Seth

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the Toro or Exmark myself.. But do you have a Snapper dealer nearby?? My Snapper Commercial 21 with the Kawi is an excellent machine, as far as 21"ers go...I really like the drive system on it personally, it will go faster than I really want to walk..and is very simple, plus it will bag, mulch, and discharge pretty well.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What? You gotta problem with Honda? OR you just don't want something quite THAT nice. :D

4. the toro and the exmark are the same mower ....only one difference ..the exmark does noit have the recycler kickers under the dec k

5. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

The commercial Toros' handles don't fold down. But I would suggest the Toro. So....
    How much is the Ariens that you are looking at? Is it actually one of their commercial models or homeowner models?

6. JimLewis

Not around here they aren't. Toros use Suzuki 2 cycle or Kawasaki 4 cycle engines. All of the Exmark 21"s I've seen use Kawasaki or Honda engines 4 cycle engines.

Kawasaki engines have a 1 qt. gas tank. Honda engines have a 1.5 qt. gas tank - 50% more fuel holding capability.

Warranty is a little different too, I believe. I think Toro warranty is 2 years for everything. Where the Exmark warranty is 1 year for everything, 2 years for some things, and 3 years on a very few things.

7. honda engine must be new this year ..my exmark has a kawasaki ......and the toro suzuki is a thing of the past if you cant luck out and find one stocked back some where.

The mower deck and trannies handle .. are identical ...only difference is those kickers

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Toro's has had Kaw. engine options on their 21" Prolines for years...Hondas this year...Suzuki is Gone....Same mower. Very Heavy...but still Lighter than the Bulky Honda Commercials.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you can buy my proline. :)

10. JimLewis

Or mine. We've got a brand spankin' new one that never gets used.