1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial 21's $400 or less?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rockandroller, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I was wondering if there are any decent 21's out there for $400 or less. How are the troy-bilt's? I know you'll don't sing to many praises, but for my small (35 accounts) residential clientelle, maybe it would hold up. Thanks in advance, and drink lots of water! :cool:
  2. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

Don't buy a Troy-bilt, it's the same mower as the MTD Pro, good engine with a bad deck design and crappy transmission.

For $400 or less I'd suggest a Snapper, Toro, Lawnboy maybe, Ariens maybe. The residential Snapper and Ariens mowers are built nearly as well as their commercial versions, just have nicer engines, steel wheels, other minor differences. Consider buying something used, you can find older Toro Super Recyclers (pre-personal pace, not a fan) for cheap, under $100 can often get you an almost new condition used mower. Even if it needs a new engine, a new engine can be put on for about $150. Or if you can come across a decent used Commercial Toro, they are great mowers.
  3. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

with the number of accounts you carry it might be better to just fork out the extra and get a good commerial mower ...c
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a toro proline 2 stroke given to me. $59 bucks in parts and I got her running. Its the best 21" machine I have ever used. I started out with a snapper 21". Honda is another good choice.
  5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I don't know of any "commercial" 21s for that price, but I'm very pleased with my Toro recycler that's gone the distance beside my Prolines this year. It just snapped a drive cable Friday, which is the only thing gone wrong with it in 2 years of resi and 3/4 year of commercial use. If I only had 35 accounts I would be using this mower all the way and not shelling out 1K on the commercial models.
  6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

The snapper residential models are just fine compared to the pros. There are very minor differences. You could get the steel wheels and slide bag and commercial engine when the old one blows out. I have one that was 400. It has a briggs quantum and is set up for mulching. I like snappers because of the disc drive which I think is great.
  7. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

I have 80 Accounts, 10 of which we use a 36" Viking, and the other 70 we just use 21''s. Right now we have 3 21'' Exmark Metros. 2 Have BBC and 1 does not. I would be willing to part with the one without for about 550, it has about 100 Hours on it and will probley run till 1000hrs. I would not get anything but Comerical Grade 21"s from toro or exmark with the 6.0 Kawi on it. I can tell you alot of the differences with the no comerical 21"s. Write a message back and tell me if you are interested in the mower.

Vance Trendov

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Snapper makes a good 21 wb they start on 1 to 2 pulls.
  9. rockandroller

thanks for all the input. I think I may look in classifieds and get into a something used to get me by. I 've bought a few good mowers, mainly a little toro push that have done well. At this point I can't seem to justify shelling out 5-600 fir another 21...Hope it dosn't bite me in the arse....
  10. rockandroller

I looked in the paper today and checked out this guy's lawn-boy commercial 21. The thing started 1 pull after sitting for a few months. I'm not familiar with the idle and speeds on lb's, but this mower looked well kept, and the self prop was of to the races. I asked him if he'd come down from $125, but seemed firm. I think I shhould snag it up and give the little green monster a try. Any opinions. I don't know the model, but it did say commercial on the engine. Thanks :cool: