1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial 30 or 36 Walk-Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JonesLawnCareWV, May 9, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

To add to this, I'm going to do some further testing on the weekends in the neighborhood with the neighbor lawns over the next two weeks between the 22" and the 30". I suspect the 36 > Faster then the 30 on very open lawns. The 30 > 36 on small tight lawns with lot's of obstacles, corners, fence lines, flower beds, etc. And I suspect both the 36 and 30 > the 22" on all lawns. I'm going to start timing each and every one of the neighbors lawns this week. Funny thing, my neighbor must have got tired of seeing me mow all the neighbors lawns in the neighborhood. I seen he painted an old wooden sign and put on his privacy fence that says "Low Cost Lawn Care 512-xxx-xxx.) Now I'm thinking about putting a sign in the yard or on my privacy fence that says "Expensive High Quality Lawn Care 512-xxx-xxxx. ;)
  2. JonesLawnCareWV

JonesLawnCareWV LawnSite Senior Member

Picked it up today. Only had a chance to mow my own lawn that only had about 4 days of growth on it. Love it already. Definitely cut time down, and mulched beautifully at full speed. Was easy getting used to the transmission bail. Love the spring system to hold on the discharge chute/mulch plate. Always hate when the discharge shoot falls off, definitely wont happen with this one!
  3. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Congrats man! Hope to hear its making ya a bunch of money this year! Now if we could just get some rain down here in texas....sigh. Im tired of mowing dirt fields with some grass spots in them. Seriously, its getting that bad!
  4. PicturePerfectLawns

Where are you in Texas? We got four inches finally in two days last week! And it's so dry we're already irrigating again!:hammerhead:
  5. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I couldn't agree more with the 36 ferris and get the dual because in the future you can add a sulky (or what ever the proper name is for those things.)
  6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I just came home with a 30" Toro to compliment the 36" Ferris.

I bought the homeowner model (TimeMaster) as opposed to the commercial Turfmaster for a variety of reasons that apply to me personally - if things were different, I'd prefer the commercial unit. It's not a "main mower", so I'm hoping it will work out for me, and give me another option to choose from.
  7. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a good WB mower, it all depends on if you have to go the route of new and build credit I can see getting the 30 but???? I bought a Lesco 36 Hydro for 1150 with velkie and it only had 150 hours on it and it will shred a 30 push mower.

In 36 a belt and fixed deck is tough to beat, if buying new I would only go hydro and floating deck if buying a bigger cut than 36.
  8. PicturePerfectLawns

I was a firm believer in the 30" due to the fact with the old 36 I picked up a long time ago, never got used because I couldn't get it through the gates and couldn't fit the 30 and 36 in the truck, so the 30" just became an overall more versatile machine. This past week I picked up a 34" Gravely with the sulky, I'm squeezing it through every gate, and honestly couldn't be happier. I did have to buy a trailer, but it was all worth it in the end. My legs are saved and I still have energy at the end of the day. I still use the 30" on smaller lawns and the 34" on nearly everything else now. I do have a few lawns that have crazy landscapes in the back and I've had to use the 30" numerous other times. I would still say, some lawns I prefer the 30, anything else, it sits and the walk behind always comes off the trailer. I have to honestly admit, after coming off a 30" to a 34" with a sulky made a huge difference for me. :laugh: Don't get me wrong, I love my 30 though! :drinkup:
  9. PicturePerfectLawns

OakNut, I just read your post and it seems dead on to me.
  10. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

The smallest mower I have ever needed was a 36, I can see a 32 and 34 but I would never pay 4 or 5 grand for a mower that only cuts 36 inches of grass. That is why I always look for a deal used over time on a small WB.

If I was doing cutting where a 36 was used a lot I can see buying a new hydro.