1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial account info..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cessnasovereign, Apr 6, 2006.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get commercial accounts? Say you wanted to cut the local food lion, surely the manager wouldn't be in charge of hiring a landscaper would he? Would you have to call the property management company or what?
    What about a local church or gas station? Do you have a decent success rate of going to a place that already has a landscaper and just placing a lower price than him?

In other news, I picked up some new interested clients in a million dollar + neighborhood!! 2-3 acres, mostly grass. Any idea what do charge?
  2. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Yes the manager is in charge, however they have a set budget for expenses. Just a word of warning, when you go to businesses sometimes they may consider it soliciting, so its wise just to send a business postcard or just walk in and give them your business card, if they are looking for a new landscape company they will call you.

They have nothing to do with the landscape, thats the renters problem.

Just give them a card, if there looking for a cheaper rate they will call around. Some businesses dont care about the price but rather the quality of the work.

Also if you go with someone who chooses you because you lowered your price by $5 bucks or something you can guarantee they will drop you for the next mow jow that comes around doing it cheaper.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they will want the fert done too, so you must show your liability insurance and license....
  4. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

:cry: Well that would be a problem. I haven't gotten any of that yet, because I'm just starting up and didn't want to get all the insurance and licenses if I only had one customer.. Any estimate, even a guess as to what that might cost in NC?
    Do all places want that done?
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

all commercial accounts require that you have at least 1mil in liability insurance... you should have this befor cutting anyones yard..... if you will do a search on insurance, the cost varies with experience and region..... but its not worth losing everthing you have if a rock goes flying and hits a kid....