Commercial accounts are too tight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Oct 19, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I bid a bunch of commercial properties for a realestate company some of the bids I bid to get and the others were if I got them great but if nit oh'well.
    Property #1 smaller yards 8 properties all in a row with roughly 3'000sq ft of lawn each, and the usual trimming and some edging twice a month-all 8 props. were bid at $54.00 (for all). Prop. #2- 12 houses with roughly 4-5,000 sq ft of lawn and again the usual trimming and edging twice a month, those were bid at $72.00 (for all 12) again they were all in a row. Well I was "considerably higher" than everyone else.WTF! I was warned about this company going with the absolute lowest bids but holy crap! All I can say is I feel bad for some poor sucker, wait a minute no I don't.payup

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I bid a few group homes my first year and like you I bid them low to get them and was not even close tru green under cut me. All the choice accounts around here are locked up tight not even worth the effort. Only commercials I seem to get are owner operator were the owner cares about what they look like. Trouble is I know who owns every building in my town (gota love a grand list) anyway nearly all are out of state owners or real estate management companies. The worst was strip malls 1 in 3 is owned by Damato Brothers and 1 in 2industrials are owned by them I think I counted 97 properties just in my town owned by them. Not much left to go after.

3. webfoot

webfoot LawnSite Member

I think most are way under bid in my area.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I thougt you were talking commercial - you are talking residential. - Today my wife and I mowed and or drove in the truck (windshield time) for 5 1/2 hrs. with two JD garden tractors, did 31 acres. $775 = 25/acre = $70/hr. per mower and that includes windshield time.

That is what I call commercial - those dump and mow for 35 per yard is residential.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

FLEX--you mowed for $25.00 an acre today? is this correct?

GEO :confused:

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I can see where this is going. :laugh:

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is the kind of stuff that just gets me disgusted with this industry.

$6 a lawn... and still couldn't land the job... Considerably higher? WTF?

I've just gotten to the point now that I just tell people up front that I can't afford to waste my time measuring properties just to submit a bid just for someone to compare prices. I'm more than glad to tell them why too... the answer is simple... No one EVER hires me just based on the fact that I was the lowest bidder, because I NEVER submit the lowest bid. People make the decision to hire me for other reasons, simply because there will always be someone who will make an attempt to do it for less.