1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Accounts. (Giant, Apt complexes,Malls)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrewCutEnterprises, May 3, 2004.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. I made a realization today. Well yesterday. After doing 250 miles worth of estimates in my car for 4 $500.00 jobs and one 800.00 job. I realized i dont want to deal with Residential customers anymore.

How many people only service Apartment complexes, Giant food stores or any property with 20+ acres of cutting?

My main idea is that Comm accounts are worked up in jan/feb. then signed on in early march. Now you take installments for the rest of the year. But my few commercial accounts(church, school etc) never complain as much as my 150 residential customers.

Are commercial accounts easier, harder, less stressfull.

Please someone direct me, because i know commercial are hard to get but sooo much easier it seems
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally I went to all commercial accounts 5 years ago, or so. Even then I still had to pick through, still DO pick through the ones where people are PITA, and the ones where you can let things slide a little.

The accounts that are easy going, I'm always working them, trying to find out if they have other properties or connections to other accounts somehow.

Most of the time, you don't have someone sitting around looking out their window and taking note of each blade of grass not cut. Sometimes I will run into that, and usually have let the account go by mid-year or at least make sure I don't put a bid in for the following year.
  3. Bryants Lawn Care

Bryants Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I would just be careful.Comm. are nice I know what your saying,no complaing,pay on time,and no down time driven to the next acc.I would get rid of the smaller andthe ones that always seem to have any complants [excpt around payday because you dont see them] and focus on the comm. direct.Remember not to get all your eggs in one basket.I.e loseing a big comm. is not like loseing that pain resadintal acc. some thing to think about.. B.L.C
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I do all the way from 17 acre comm, to 10K res. One thing about the comm accounts are less windshield time, but they are usually rough compared to res. Would be nice to go normal speed on the big commercial areas, but usually are rough enough to slow you down. So there is some give and take. Thanks, Brad
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

With the amount of competition in the anne arundel county area I wouldnt put all your eggs in one basket, Around here commercial accounts are bidding from august and are already signed by december. Remember commercial takes longer to pay, higher insurance requirements , and more employees. And most of all they almost always go with low bidder.
  6. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

We do all the Pizza Hut's and will be getting the Sonic's (hopefully soon) here in the Wichita area. As well with those smaller commercials we do all the maintenance at York International, owned by Coleman. They are our biggest account, by far. I think that commercials are easier than residentials because you don't have to deal with the homeowners coming out and maing special requests. You deal with the Managers, or the area property manager for changes.

Another option for you, if you still like mowing homes, Try out some HOA's. Not just the ones where you do all the commons and leave...but we do about 7 that you mow all of the yards as well. WE actually consider these commercial accounts. Are commercial accounts make up for about %73 of our weekly mowing business.
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 95% commercial properties. From 2000 sq ft to a dozen properties of 11.5 acres each. And all of the large accts. are full maint. contracts, . These customers are great for us. Much less crap to deal with than res..