1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Accounts & Labor Unions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpringValley, Feb 12, 2001.

1. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I am bidding on a large commercial job I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. They would prefer I not mow on weekends because the labor union would get upset. Do any of you who mow commerical accounts have this problem? I do this part time and mowing on weekends is critical to me. Let me know.

2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like an excuse to me. Are there union employees working there at the commercial site? I have never heard of such a thing. I have 16 years as a Teamster and I have never heard of such a thing unless the union itself was trying to signup your business or the workers at that site or some sort of thing like that.

Unions work on weekends, nights, Sunday, etc... What's up with this. I really do not understand your customers statement, unless I am missing something that you have not stated like it is nextdoor to a union's national office or local hall. This I might see, since alot of locals do functions during the weekends when members can attend.

No matter, I would mow it when you want. Union thug days are gone. Do not let the phrase Labor Union scare you into doing something you do not want to do. But, just WATCH YOUR BACK if you should tick'em off, just kiddin.

[Edited by Skookum on 02-12-2001 at 05:11 PM]
  3. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Terre Haute is a union town. The factory I am bidding on mowing used to be mowed by the company randomly picking two guys off the floor to mow. The Union got upset as that is not what they were hired to do and told the company to hire two new union people to mow. So they decided to sub the mowing. I had the inside track from the friend of a friend and was the first to meet with the reps from the company. That is the history. The Labor Union could get upset as there is a lot of brush hog work that would require bigger equipment. I was told by a good friend that the union wants a piece of anything that is over 25hp, ie they feel they should have one of 'theirs' running it. That is why I wondered if anyone had any conflict with the union that may work at the location they are mowing commericially. Thanks.

4. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Sounds like BS to me. I mow for a Union Hall and they could care less when I mow, just as long as I do it once a week.
  5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Well, sounds like your just in the middle. I would do what you are asked or hired to do. The union must negotiate with the company for those classifications and jobs and positions. I would stress a contract with the company in case the union files suit or arbitration and wins those jobs back on a "Past Practice Issue" which sounds winable to me. Alot depends on how strong the union is there and which union it might be.

If you do not already have one, get a contract though for yourself. Companies are getting smarter all the time about union issues. You could be a pawn in a game they are playing with the union. If you went out and bought some new equipment to service them, they could careless when they tell you that the union has won a grievence and they are now going to use union employees to mow.

Company I use to work for used outside firms several times to get the union to give alittle before setting up jobs as union positions.