1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial accounts! What's the trick to land them

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Mar 15, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

How do you guys go about landing some of those commercial accounts? I can't even get them to take bids because they have some one that doe's them. They afraid of change, don't like competition bidding or what? I can't figure them out.
    What's your take on this subject?
  2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

bribes usually works :)

or a table dance
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search, this topic has been covered ALOT lately.
    Good luck,
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Easiest way, watch for new places. Might be a place that's already built that's changing names (restaurants), or a new building. You know they're looking for someone new.

Get your foot in the door with one place, maybe even do it a tad cheaper than you might normally. Once you got the first, then the others around will just fall into place.
  5. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

Last year was my first year in buisness. I bought it established but the guy that did it before me did NOT do any commercial. I got an apartment complex by word of mouth, and another complex i got by going in. I drove by an noticed the lawn was about 9" high so i went in and they highered me on the spot no questions asked. I do a strip mall and had to bid....and I will not bid again it was a nerve racking time
  6. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Call them and see if they are taking bids for the year. If they are, I hate to say it, but if you want it bad enough, you have to lowball. Get your feet in the door, do good work and then you can raise prices to where they should be.
  7. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

Drive around and look for the phone numbers under the name of the apartment buildings and ask to talk to the property manager.
  8. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

It is alot of times who you know. I know someone who worked at firestone and he got me that, then he got me the Sherwin williams next door, told me to goto BP and talk to his brother, he got manager to give me that and now another BP. .....keep'em coming
  9. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Network each account. Takes time and talent, and a bit of luck sometimes.

Yes it some times could be considered lowballing but you really need to know your commotion and the going rate for commercial work. Believe me the commercial accounts DO know these figures.
    Put yourself in there shoes for a second, they have been there for many years and have had very LCO come see them for there lawn needs. They don't change at a every whim. If they find a good LCO they usually stay with them. Thats good for the LCO that has the work but makes it a difficult nut to crack. So NETWORK it.
  10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out where the Regional or District managers go out drinking on the weekend... go to the same place and socialize with them. Have a few drinks and start talking grass... you'll be amazed how far this will go.