Commercial Accounts = yellow page ad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 10, 2005.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This question is geared to the companies that have a multitude of commercials.
    Do you feel that the best way to land commercial accounts is to have a yellow page ad? And do you think that the first thing a commercial property does when considering service is to open up the phone book?

2. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

I know this. A scrub probably will not have one. I had to call a locksmith over the weekend. My wife and 2 year old played lock/un-lock one too many times... Talking with this guy about his yellow page ad and he tell's me it is $425 a month. He says it keeps him busy though. I'll tell you this, I will get one the next go around or change careers to a "lock-doc"! :blob3:

3. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have one that was 625.00 a month. We did in fact pick up some commercial accounts from it but we also got a ton of calls for estimates of poeple that were simply price shopping.

Just a line in there now. No extra cost.

I take the 625.00 and apply it to post cards/flyers and ads in the papers. IMO it has been much better response as I can change and modify it all year long. The yellow pages is a one shot per year deal.

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think cold calling would be better.

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have just a single line listing about 1/3 of the way down and last season picked up 3 commercials from listing. If we weren't there we wouldn't have been called.Just being in phone book makes you legitimate to most people.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Your right, you will be legitimate to MOST PEOPLE, unfourtanatly, you wont attract much large commercial work. To awnser the question, yes a yellow page ad will atract commercial better than fliers or the sticky things on newspapers, doorhangers, ect.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We've been pursuing commercial work a little more this season. It appears that in our area, you need to be getting yourself in front of these people. Personal letters, cold-calling, etc.. You really need to push yourself to them. There are so many companies out there, you need to be aggressive and pursue them. It's tough for me to do, but I'm trying. They don't have to look for companies around here. Any commercial work that's worth a hoot is being pursued, better join them in the pursuit or be left behind.

8. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

here is the deal with yellow page advertising. People that are looking in the book are ready to spend money and they are looking at the info you put in the book to "sell" them. Look at it like this, if you are a woman, business, etc... needing your yard maintained do you wait for a flyer to show up at on your door? NO. Granted, flyers are great for bringing a customers need for a maintenance co. to the front of their mind, they are just reaching a different audience. Most here say that yellow pages only attracts price shoppers but I think most all shoppers and buyers are price conscious regardless of where they get your name and number. Maybe the person answering the phone should brush up on their sales skills a little.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

99% of our customers are commercial. We have never had an advertizement of any kind. We get all our jobs by going to the customers. Or from referals. Most companies have plenty of lawncare/maintenance contractors coming and soliciting for work, so they dont have to look in the yellow pages.

10. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 1" ad in the Southwestern Bells Yellow pages that costs me $35/month! another ad in a different book is about the same. THey're both worth their weight in gold.