1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royallawncare, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I am planning on putting in a campaign for a bunch of commercial properties in my area...I want to put together a folder/portfolio type of thing i can send them telling about our company our services offered and maybe some pictures. What would you include in this and is there a better way to catch the attention of the owners...What is the best way to find out who to contact on the property maintenance?
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I understand your dilema - I had to bid fairly low for one year to get my foot in the door ($15 per acre - made money even then, but needed another job)
    Now I have proof of Quality work - Let me say it again QUALITY WORK.

Instead of $15 per acre which is scratch for a profit I am at $25 per acre. Still low according to some of the LCO's around here. I am doing well.

How did I land the second year bids? Simple - I include two sets of pics - 4 pics per sheet that show what we do. Here is one of the sheets.

Picture Package-Bid Sheet-lawn site.jpg
  3. Flex-Deck

Whoa - Went from 600 dpi to 72, and they are very blurry - excuse me.
  4. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Hey Flex-Deck,

If I take my glasses off they look real good.... :D
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I see your 16. I think you would be better off sticking to residential for a couple more years. Most people wont hire you because of your age, no matter how good of a job you can do. It kind of sucks for you, but im afraid its the truth. Just use the next year or 2 to build up some residentials.
  6. Flex-Deck

Thanks - here is a try at one pic I used in the 4 pic deal

Target Curbs-Fence-.jpg
  7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt reccomend loading up on commercials. Always keep your residential list about 75-80% if you can. You dont want to put all your eggs in one basket. I knew a guy who went from making $275,000 to $45,000 in a matter off one winter due to the fact he got lowballed on all his commercials.
  8. Flex-Deck

I agree totally packer - except for one thing - after my first year (last year - when I had to bid somewhat low to get my foot in the door, the proof of the pics I have posted up above just landed my a 2 year contract with the county and a 4 year contract on a 22 acre deal. That is how you do it in the commercial end.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

do I need glasses? :)
  10. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

Although commercial accounts may turn me away because of age i'm 17 now almost 18 and most say i look much older than that...I have a friend who is mowing all commercial and he is only 16 he has lined up about 25 commercial accounts many through the help of his relatives having "ins" to other businesses i now want to put my foot in the commercial market currently i service one small apartment area what can i do to get more thanks for the ideas so far...