commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cincyscapes, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cincyscapes

cincyscapes LawnSite Member

Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I have been cutting residentials for several years now and have all the accounts that I want. Any tips on how to go about trying to get the larger commercial accounts? Call or visit in person? Who to talk to? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

1.walk in and introduce yourself, ask for the property Manager, or the Head of Maintenance. Walk in there like you have done it many times before, be confident and assertive. Once you get in contact with that person your "in" as far as submitting a bid is concerned.

2. Put an Ad in the Yellow Pages that says you specialize in commercial and industrial properties.
    Most commercials will contact you if they want you, that's what i find. They want to see thast you have a proven tract record, But that 1st person still has to take a risk on you.

3. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I had just gotten another commercial account strictly by luck (again). My father-in-law (yeah, the "I forgot to tell you about the poison oak" dad http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=124438 ) has a neighbor that has given me a push mower (a couple of weeks ago), and just gave me a riding mower (this past Monday) for free. I went over to drop off one of my riding mowers to be worked on by him (for free) (GREAT GUY!). As I was just talking to him, he stated that his brother wanted a new lco to take over the lawncare of his organizations' football (1), baseball (2) fields, outdoor cooking building, and playground area next year. He was tired of the current lco just coming in rushing around and doing a shoddy job. Well, both guys are really great friends of my father-in-law, so the neighbor tells his brother about my business, and bobbed-a-ping, bobbed-a-bang I got the job without even blinking an eye. This is almost as easy as my other commercial account I got by just knowing people (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=121688).

And to be honest, I am not a big social person at all. I personally recommend, to keep all of your bases open, don't burn any bridges (yadayadayada). Push your business to everyone. As others have said numerous times, you will get alot of referrals, if people know you are in the business and are willing to do a great job.

Right now, I am in the process of writing up my 2006 season request for bid / proposal letters. I hope to have them completed and mailed out to local businesses around beginning of December. get the business names and address out of the phone book, go look at the property - see if you would be able to take the job on if you were offered the contract with business. if you feel you can do it - then make sure you send that business an introduction letter (or go in person) and explain that you want to be considered for bidding on the new seasons' contract. If you don't ask, you can't get it - unless you get lucky with referrals.

Try anything that you feel might help - just don't undercut yourself - or you will be literally working for peanuts (if not free).

By the way, fyi, both mowers work fantastic. I just don't know where to put them. I am hoping to build a new storage / work building next year.

4. cincyscapes

Thanks for the info. That answers another question I forget to ask; When should I start approaching businesses/apartments?

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

What part of Cincy are you working? I wish you luck with this, however most of the larger outfits have the large scale properties wrapped up.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

cincyscapes
    What part of cincy are you from!
    Welcome to lawnsite!!!

7. cincyscapes

Thanks for the welcome!! I am from the delhi area. Cut mostly in western hills/delhi/bridgetown. I have two days that I cut in west chester. Thats where I think the residential money is, even commercial for that matter. Going to shift my efforts for that area. Where you cincy guys from/work at??

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I work in the Warren county area.