commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Sep 2, 2006.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

how do you go about finding different ones that are accepting bids. Do you just call them and ask.Thanks in advance for the help

2. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

You can call them, but I like to stop in & talk with them face to face.

3. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

make the effort to show up in person,that way you stand a better chance of talking to someone that has some power and you can answer any question directly.Most of the time if you just make a phone call you will get a textbook answer of ( well the person you need to speak to is not in at this time ) and your message will go without a return phone call.Besides if you show up and look professional and get to talk to someone in charge, the hardest part is over.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What are you asking about??
    Mom and Pop stores with an hour of work-- HOA's and APT. complexes. Industrial parks Shopping centers, Schools- Each has a different approach, determined by ownership or management. What are you after.

5. greencuts-Lco

greencuts-Lco LawnSite Member

I'm after HOA's ,condos , and shopping centers

how do you approach them and when?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I speak from my own experience when I say my recommendation is to have at least 4 years full-time in the business before fooling with a commercial contract. By then, the issue should resolve itself.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Like PMLAWN said, each has its different approach. I don't mess with the smaller commercial places like strip plaza's or fast food places where your going to use 21's, I go for the medium sized commercials and the large commercials (acres) like churches.

The medium places (trucking depots, industrial park areas) I just walk in and ask to speak with the person in charge of the property maintenance. I'll speak with whoever though and i leave a brochure that explains the company and says to consider us for a bid when they're accepting. The larger places I'll either go in or call first. I dont like to go into the places that are busy, I'll just be a bother. I have a large school that I'm looking at, I'm calling them tomorrow morning and see where I get. Same with churches, after the call to a church if I dont set up an appointment I'll just drop the brochure off and speak with whoever I can.

Always dress up and present yourself well, walk in there feeling like your a million bucks and think positive.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

HOA's and condos -really the same thing- will have a board made up of residents that run it. They may or may not self manage. Meaning making the decision and doing the actual hiring. Most down here are run by a management company which has been hired to contact vendors, negotiate on the HOA's behalf, and secure a contract. So in that area you need to look at the property management companies in you area and get on their vendor list. Be prepared to show quality of work, proof of insurance and license and proper employment records of your crews. You may need to show some proof of good financial standing with your company or be bonded.
    If they are self managed find out the contact #'s of the board. Most residents should know or go to your counties GIS site as most now keep those records on line.
    A shopping center is about the same but the management may be from a larger, out of town, Facilities Management company. Such as Inland, Tramwell Crow, or Jones Lang Lasalle. It is great to get on these vendor lists as they will handle many different properties with all kinds of work open to bid.
    As far as when -most HOA's will run on a calendar year so fall is good but always stay in touch with the management firms. All of these contracts will be year round maintenance so they may have different start dates on the contract.
    As far as shopping centers, depending on the ownership, their financial year or contract date could be any time-- so again stay in touch with your Facilities manager.
    Good luck and happy mowing