Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pro-Lawn, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

What is the best way to get a big commercial account? Is it by personally going into the business facility and talk to them , bug them ?? Or just send a paper with a bid ?? I have a few commercial accounts though they are small. I need year round snow removal, big jobs to get me out of my day job. I have 100 res. accounts. And i am so fed up with res. work. Res. work has been good to me , but im realizing how much of a headache it is compared to commercial. And input guys ??

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I know this has nothing to do with answering your question, but...
    You have 100 residential accounts AND a day job???!!
    Geez! You're one busy guy!

3. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

I do have three commercial accounts, got them based on referals. Ive got 30 residential accounts and if you were down south in my neck of the woods I'd trade you some for my 1 slooooooww paying commercial restaurant account. I even had to turn down an apt. complex because it was too big for a solo. Yellow pages have worked for me but referals have worked best. Good Luck.

4. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

I have my wife , she works over full time for me. She likes lawn work , which is great. Also have 2 part time guys. Plus me full time after 1:30pm . 16 hour days . I love my job.

5. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

100 res accounts solo? How do you manage? We have about 40 comm. and 75 residential with 2-3 crews working 55 hours a week and I still cant keep up. Anyway, I sometimes walked in to major corporations and introduced myself, handed them a card, and asked if I could submit a bid right then and there for next years work! They also responded to adds I placed in local papers, and a few were from referrals. I did this one guys house $180/week for about 3 years. Well, one day he asked me if I would like to cut his business also. It's about a 45 minute drive from our usual route, but he got me another $600 week for this huge property. However it takes 4 hours and 4 employees to do this. Good luck!

Scott

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me like your focus has been on residential. As soon as you switch your focus to commercial you'll begin to open doors. You got to call, write, ask, whatever you had to do to get res. you need to do double the work to get commercial. They usually don't come calling you. Out of the 22 commercial accounts I have I think 2 called me. One of them I knew personally and the other one saw my truck and got the number off the door..........when I had my signs on. That one turned into about $600.00 a month year round and I've been doing it now for 3 years. All the other ones I've had to write or call. Find out when or if they bid the properties out. I'm in a pretty good situation because none of mine have thought about changing yet................yet.:rolleyes: So far the newbies out there have stayed away as far as I know.

Focus:cool:

7. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I'm 100% commercial, and love it!! I send my residential requests to a friend of mine. I have had mostly good luck picking up commercials, through word of mouth and a friend knows a friend. My biggest account took 3 years of sending fliers and phone calls, but I did finally make it. This account will triple in size within the next 2 years. I keep my eyes open, and continue to look for more accounts. Don't give up!!

Paul

dcp00232.jpg

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

9. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

my wife is a commercial property manager for the largest office property leasing company in the US. What I have learned from all of her contacts is that many managers for commercial properties choose their contractors for very strange reasons. However, your best bet is to make an excellent first impression and tell them why you are better than everyone else for their specific need. Good luck.

10. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

MOST PROPERTY GROUPS WILL ACCEPT A "LETTER OF INTENT"
    SEND ONE IN JULY AND A FOLLOW UP IN OCTOBER.MAKE SURE TO NOTE YOU WANT TO BID THEIR AVAILABLE COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES.IF YOU CALL EXPECT 2 THINGS.
    #1-A $6 AN HOUR HIGHSCHOOL KID WITH NO IDEA.
    #2-A $7 AN HOUR OFFICE "MANAGER"THAT THINKS SHE HAS AN
    IDEA.
    WELL MAYBE YOU'LL GET 3
    #3-UM,DAH,DAH WE DONT MOW LAWNS.