Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fostertank, May 29, 2008.

1. fostertank

fostertank LawnSite Member

What's the best way to get commercial accounts? Would it be inappropriate (illegal soliciting) to mail commercial properties offers? There’s a few around here and by the looks of it, the guys are idiots. One time the guy completely forgot to cut a long section right down the middle.

2. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

good luck i asked the same question last week and got 0 replies

3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Mail it! They will throw it away or take it seriously! What do U have to lose? a little time!

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends on the commercial account if you are going after chains like walmart or marriott you need to find out who the regional manager is and go after them.

If you have a "natural", "organic" or a "carbon footprint" story these companies are going gaga over that right now. If you drive up to the window at McDonalds around Boston right next to the speaker it says "this property is being maintained organically by so and so" doesn't that make you feel better. It may be BULL but it is what is selling right now

Shopping malls are typically taken care of by management companies, if you can get in with the management companies they normally have many properties in an area

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

tank - do keep in mind that there are ups and downs to commercial biz. You can make some good money BUT commercial accts are TOTALLY UNRELIABLE year to year. They'll drop you in a heartbeat if new-season bids even come in 0.50 per cut lower than yours, even though you may have done a spectacular job on the lawn the year prior.

I don't want to scare you off, but I would put a good run on some loyal homeowners and sprinkle a few commercials in, not vice versa.

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, don't switch to commercial only. It's all about the $$$. But go for a few, just get the proper insurance and licensing first.

7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

well put,i agree with that philosophy.good business practices.

8. fostertank

fostertank LawnSite Member

I’m not looking for solely commercial accounts. I have about 27 residential accounts now. I’m looking more towards the future though! Thanks for all your input really appreciate it.

9. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and it is a PITA. Well two if you count the duplex.

Looking to get some better ones next year.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont be afraid....

Do Like I do, Just walk right in and ask.....

you will be amazed at how quickly you learn the business and how it works...

Just be carefull not to underbid