commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Jun 24, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how do you guys go about getting them.do you call them or go in person or just mail out a bid.please explain in full detail im going to go this route hopefully by next year .what about complexes .thanx for the info ronnie

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have only had luck one way, yellow pages. Its expensive, about $400 per month, but its worth it.

3. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Word of mouth and knocking on the door!

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow Pages. Only they are as expensive as you let them be. $400 seems aweful high. Mines $30 a month. Its not an extra add but an enlarged number add in color that lists the services I offer. Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet????:blob4:

5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Try Property Mgmt Companies.

6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Complexs are o.k. But I don't like codos too much. To me it seems like everyone has different views. Its hard to keep them happy. The best contracts to me are parks & schools. Everything has its pros and cons. Apartment complexs pay great for snowplowing and count on you for service. While Residental customers do the wait and see thing. By the time some for them call you your too far to get to them right away. And some of them tell you to go ahead and plow it and get the guy the see plowing next door. So do what works for you. Good Luck

7. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

Medium to high-end condos are filled with people "whose best friend is a master gardener" and thus are quick to let their views, no matter how ridiculous, be known. It is good to have design background for this niche.

Entry level condos/ apartment conversions are filled with people scraping by, dreading the ever looming "special assessment" and are always making sure that "they are getting their moneys worth".

Apartments are filled with people who just don't care- cigarette butts, beer cans, and baby toys tossed three stories to the lawn, the night before you mow. The manager, in their high turnover field, always wants to "put their stamp on the way things run around here." Beware of the landscaper "they are used to dealing with". He may end up taking your account from you, when you thought things were running so swell.

Not to sound too pessimistic, but I have been in this business a long time, and have seen it all.

Ease into commercial accounts with a couple of easy, small light industrial/ warehouse type properties, give them more service than they probably deserve, and build up your references.

8. Yard Guy

Yard Guy LawnSite Member

Your last paragraph is sound advice.

9. cigar6

cigar6 LawnSite Member

Ron

The best advice I could give you is go out and talk to as many people as possible.

Any type of sales, no matter what the product, is merely a numbers game.

He who goes out and turns over the most rocks, wins.

I have found very few people in our industry really go out and make a sales call, and introduce themselves, their company, and most importantly "follow up".

You may talk with several people a number of times befor it pays off but it will.

Also, as you travel around look for commercial properties that don't look their best. Sometimes the current LCO is dropping the ball, and you can offer to help them out.

Commerical acounts that we deal with a usual pretty demanding and require a lot of attention. Be prepared to offer the best service you can offer, and build a reputation one account at a time.

I really don't know of anothe way.

Good luck!