1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Nov 18, 2012.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

looking to get into commercial more wondering if anyone has just made up a proposal and just sent that to company and did a follow up call. If so how did it work out.
  2. LocalBranch

LocalBranch LawnSite Member

I'm brand new to the industry (coming from dental sales business) so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt:
    All I do all day every day is put my feet on the street and look for choice commercial accounts. With this company a proposal is fairly detailed and takes a lot of effort & time to complete so I make sure to identify decision makers and qualify them first before we agree to do a bid.

Based on my three plus months' experience (I know...a genuine wellspring of landscaping wisdom) I would venture to say that random proposals handed to a secretary or sent blindly to an "info@xxxx.com" email address will just disappear into the corporate vacuum 99% of the time.

Businesses and office buildings with an onsite property manager are the best (easiest) targets and opportunities to pitch your services IMHO. Onsite managers are relatively easy to get face to face with and it's more difficult to blow somebody off in person as opposed to on the phone or via email.

So far, even the warm leads I've generated have required consistent follow up in order to convert them into jobs; that means you need to know exactly who is making the decision and how to reach them specifically.
  3. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

know who runs the show at the site in question. write a letter introducing yourself and what business you operate. let them know you want to be put on the contractor's bidders list. offer references. for lawn care, send out letters anytime of the year. companies are trying to cut costs whereever possible. if you don't hear from them, wait a month and try a cold call.
  4. danni856

danni856 LawnSite Member

Any sample proposals