1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Feb 19, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I started a lawn maintenance business last year. I did ok. I wanted to get into home owner associations and apartment communities. I'm taking my test next week for the pesticide applicator license. What do i need to get contracts or get to bid on this type of work? Thanks for all the help?
  2. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Go see the property managers for the sites you want to bid on.

Follow up if you don't get a response.
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldnt of said it better myself. Dress nicely...let them know how professional you are and that your company is top-notch and that is the type of results they should expect if they accept your bid.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, good start. Unfortunately, then, with all your sharp dressing and professionalism, you will still have to be the cheapest. For some reason, you can talk an "individual" into a more expensive and quality service, but put a whole bunch together and they get stupid cheap. Also, prepare to be the lowest again the next year or your walkin'.

I'd focus more on building a large fert applicator base than a mowing base.
  5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

This is my first year at this but I have had very good results so far with providing quick bids and always, I mean always, following up. I'm sure the huge companies chew up small companies like mine but I've been fortunate to get in with a few smaller ones that prefer the personal touch. I told them when I introduced myself that I was probably not going to be low bid on everything. However, if they were looking for an LCO who they didn't have to go check up on, then I was their guy. It's all sales. Gaining your clients' trust is paramount to a long and prosperous relationship.

I've seem to have found a small niche providing service agreements on leased, single-family, residential properties. Out of state owners just want a fair price and the ease of mind knowing their investment is being looked after. The add-on sales are a great way to separate you from your competitor. Your bid may be higher but did your competition offer aerating, fertilizing, Spring/Summer flats, Christmas tree removal, etc? I want to be the "one stop shop". Lock them up for all their lawn needs.

That's it, I'm done.