1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Mar 28, 2004.

Should New businesses focus on residential or Commercial

1. Commercial

3 vote(s)
  2. Commercial and residential

24 vote(s)
  3. Residential

22 vote(s)
  4. Shoot theirselves in head its so frustrating.

3 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just started my business 5 months ago, I do not understand why when I speak to a commercial prospect and find out that they are paying over 1,000 a month to have their property maintained and I offer them $700.00 a month and I have all the right equipment 1 52 inch Torro 0 turn rider and 3 torro self propelled walkers and all the stihl attachments and blowers, then why the heck do I get blown off when I am offering them a great price cut, this is like the second time that has happened to me. Also I have all the commercial equipment and I want commercial accounts but it seems like I cant quiet get them and I have a strong sales background and am people oriented and I have proffessional packets made up with all the breakdowns and pictures of my equipment and everything ---someone please help me if you can :0) also check out www.firstclasslawninc.com Thank You
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought I just read this same post by you in another thread? Oh well, maybe they know the other guy personaly(like a friend or relative) it happens that way. Maybe, they know your too cheap and good customers know that cheap is not always good. Maybe they are just happy with the service that they currently have and don't want to switch. I'd move on to another customer.
  3. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes this same post was on the other day I appologize I couldnt find it and due to me being new to this site then I thought maybe it hadnt gotten posted, also let me clear up somethin for all the people coming down hard on me :0) I am not a Low baller or a newby to the lawn business, I walked this property and found that it was very very small and would not be really really time consuming so at over a grand a month they were getting ripped bad and 7-750.00 would be alot more accurate, my business is very proffessional Im not just some guy with a lawnmower thrown in the back of his truck tryin to get accounts, I have enclosed trailer with very expensive Business decals on it and I have all the latest Torro and stihl equipment and also 1 million in insurance and spare equipment to boot, I just cant figure out why I am not getting commercial business, I have 1 apt and like 7 residential at the moment and started my business like 5 months ago, so I am just trying to keep my head up:0)
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

You are new in the biz. and your name is not out in the public eye yet, so do residentals untill you grow your image. I have commercials that I was under bid this year by 10K and they still stayed with me. most people find a quality company, then stay with them

Good Luck and welcome to lawnsite
  5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Start with residential and the word of mouth will carry you on to the commercial properties.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you offer to undercut their prices by $300 per month (30%) and claim you do not lowball??? I guess lowballing is only undercutting by 31% or more?

if you dont have confidence in your value (essentially your prices) then how do you expect cleints to have confidence in you?
  7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

You have some great yards on your website for just 5 months old!! Dont see why you would want to even chase comercials with yards like these...;) ;)
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

5 months is not a lot of time for word of mouth to spread. Concentrate on residential for now, do good work and commercial accounts will come. I've seen many companies come and go because they thought they could just get commercial accounts because they had nice equipment. If someone is happy with their current company, they most likely aren't going to switch just because of price. Grow your business with quality customers, it takes time and patience.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Your post is why i have given up on commercial accounts i get lowballed my people like you who don't know how to bid accounts.