Commercial and/or residential?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Apr 17, 2001.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

OK, here it goes. I have done both commercial and residential properties. I am in mid decision making about which to go full on with. What I would like to hear from all of you is which do you prefer, commercial or residential and why. I will not search for this because I want new perspectivesand new members to be able to have input. Thanks everyone in advance for your input and i look forward to hearing from you.

THANKS
    Rick

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Ok, I won't say search this! Right now I have 75% commercial. When I started I was 100% residential. IMO commercial accounts are less stressfull than home owers. On a commercial account, if you cut the lawn their happy. On Mrs. Senior Citizen lawn, she'll nit-pick.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm at about 85% residential, and growing everyday. I will say, homeowners are very quick to try to keep you from cutting weekly to save a couple of bucks. They do make stupid request and waste you time.

Commercial is very competitive and you could have a lowballer get it.

This said, I plan to start working more toward commercial soon.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We service both and I have to agree that Commercial/Industrial accounts are the way to fly. There is not as much loyalty as with Residentials, but the lack of bickering is well worth the effort in getting them.

I have recently found so far this season that its very simple either their budget can afford you or it cannot. Not, Well we'll have to see what we can afford and that we may not need all these services this year because we want to expand our deck.

Kris

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I will only take a commercial that is not being bid on. I dont waste my time bidding on commercials because the lowest bidder always wins and I know im far from the cheapest! Those type of commercials ussually get new bids every couple years so you can loose them at a drop of a hat... I take accounts that actually care about quality and have loyalty instead of just care about price.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i prefer residential. was all set to go after some commercial accts .then got to reading post of how
    they switch in a heartbeat, so ill stay with the few i have.

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Evan. The commercial accounts I have are the ones that approached me. They were looking for quaility and someone reliable. They hardly ever bother me. Matter of fact I never got so much as one phone call from one of mine last year. I send the bill and they send a check. I went up on the price this year, sent them a letter explaining the hike due to fuel costs and I never got a call for that. They just mailed the check..no questions asked. I do have to say around here in my area the large commercial accounts do want the cheapiest price and usually the low ballers get these so I just mainly stick with residential. I do not mind granny comming out for a quick chat..just as long as she pays her bill I am happy

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

personly in my area most commercial accounts want the lowest bid and they take that, so unless its just me bidding on it i will if not the chance of getting it is slim to none, just to many lowballers in my area. when i go to a residential house i make sure they know what i expect from them and what they expect from me , meaning that i can cut it 4 or 5 days in the spring and when needed in the summer. right now i'm about 60% residentail and loving it, all of my customers love to see my truck pull up to the yard, same with the commercials.

i would have to say if youi have the right residentail customers you will love cutitng for them aand they will want you back every year. good luck with what you decide.

9. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I have 100% commercial and really like them....They do not watch your every move out the living room window,Dont care what time of day you mow,and instead of 50 stops on a residental route I have 4 Large business accounts the less people I can deal with the better!

Peace!

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you dont mind wondering whether you will retain customers year to year go commercial. If the thought of quoting jobs every spring turns your stomach then stick with residential, I find that, in general, folks dont switch lawn services unless you screw up in a major way.