1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial and residential charges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Feb 4, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

My question is geared toward those who cut risidential and commercial property.

Would you charge more for a given property if it is a commercial business. I only have resi's, and see you guys (gals) posting about liking the commercial accounts. I mean if it were identical and the only difference was a sign outside that said "Shlomos Kosher Bagels and Pork Shop" would you charge less, more, or the same.........and WHY ?

I think I may know the answer to all of the above, but I want your views.

2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Our rates are the same as far as mowing is concerned but what makes commercial nice is that there is a lot of extras to be done at commercial places. A typical home owner might take care of landscape maintenance where the commercial you have pruning, edging, weed pulling, fertilizer, clean ups, or any other outside maintenance. Some commercials also require a higher frequency of mowing. We have some that certain times of the year require mowing every 4 days. It is a pain sometimes to fit them in the route on off days but we charge enough to make it worth our while.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of it from that perspective.

4. Guest

commercials have more liability require more professionalism, communication, more trash has to be edged when no cars are there and more dependable and stable co
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We charge the same for commercial accounts as we do for residentials also.

The only time that commercials would receive a break in pricing would be if they wanted us to do their pruning and shearing every six weeks vs. twice a season. This will be because there are less clippings to contend with and the work can be accomplished much faster.

Just my .02
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I generally charge more because of the risk involved. It seems all of mine have lots of cars around because they have grass next to a parking lot or on a major road. It all depends on the individual site and you just have to make a judgement call. To stay away from the cars means you have to be there at 6AM or on the weekends, either one is an inconvenience to me that you will pay for.
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I also like the commercial propertys. We generally try to get them done first in the morning, this way you can usually beat the "businees world" and all that hassel. Charging more I believe comes with almost every commercial account. This is why. When they hire you to maintain their property you are making their business look good. If you do a superb job every time, if could deffinatly help them pick up business/customers. Moral of the story, you are helping them make money and you should get paid for that.
  8. Guest

I think this has more to do w snow but we do some high end commercials and we always have to have 2 trucks 1 is back up you cannot break down see where the overhead comes from