commercial application how much per sq ft?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by michael13, Sep 18, 2007.

1. michael13

michael13 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have recently received my S license in Ct.. I am bidding a commercial account in the area. I have been in business for years now but obviously just getting started in this aspect of the business. Can anyone give me a good all around price per sq ft for a seasonal contract for fert, herb. pest. lime, etc.? They request price per sq ft in their bid sheet. Thanks

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Michael:
    Like everthing else: cost of product + cost of labor and equipment + education, advertisement and other stuff like gas. (Overhead). divide by sq. ft then add your profit, keeping in mind that you must make a profit. Without cash flow--you'll be out of business very quickly. Lots of guys already have paid for their equipment and are in a depreciation mode and must replace it before it dies (thus the profit). There will never be a hard rule to base your price on except that doubling your cost would be a place to start. Keep in mind that adding the full cost of equipment CANNOT be covered on just one job but depreciated over 5 years or whatever you think the life for that implement would be. Let's say that a PG costs $5000 and it's life would be 10 years then you've got to figure $500/year for it and divide the number of 1000K you use it per year would give you some idea on how to figure your real cost. It can get rather involved. Do you have an accountant? They can help you on these matters. Roy

3. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

They're requesting price per sqft? I never tell a customer how much I am charging them per square foot. Its $blah per application. period. This account wants price per sqft obviously because they are price shopping. Tell them to go shop at walmart.

You: Mr. Jones, I'm going to charge you $6 per thousand. You have 5000 sqft.
    Mr. Jones: Oh really? I measured 4700. What about that little flower bed over there...that's gotta be like 100sqft don't cha think?

4. michael13

from CT

I know what you are saying. I have a call in to the property management company to ask them if they will accept a price per app. Unfortunately commercial accounts all shop around. I do know some guys who do apps per sq foot. I am sure some of the factors are based on what ralmaroad has stated, including location, terrain, etc.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Low end = $2.80 per 1000 (big & easy). High end = $5.00 per 1000 (more difficult).....unless you're talking insecticides. Also add $15 each time you have to move your truck and pull the hose out again. Not enough specifics regarding this property to give proper advice, so I'm just guessing.

6. mkroher

So.. high end.. a 5,000 sqft lawn would cost 25 bucks to treat? Surely you have a minimum. Or...is that why you have 3000 customers? :hammerhead:

7. americanlawn

from midwest

What's your problem??

8. mkroher

sorry. have a bug up my ass.

9. americanlawn

from midwest

No prob -- you're a trusted friend.:usflag:

10. michael13

from CT

mk where are you in ct? I am in nw ct. Do you do all landscape services or solely fert and chem apps?