Commercial Auto HOLY CRAP!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RBatten, Aug 21, 2010.

1. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

I have had a commercial auto policy for two years now and I understood it was expensive.

This week I purchased a 07 Isuzu NPR and put the binder on it and the bill came today and they want $300 a month just for that vehicle!!!! I pay another $200 for my F-150. Granted both are fully insured but come on $5K a year for two vehicles worth less than 50K!!

I need help! Who are you using and what are they charging you? I live in FL so I know insurance is expensive but HOLY CRAP.

My insurance payment is more than the Truck Payment!!!:dizzy:

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Insurance on 1 ton and larger trucks gets expensive real fast. You are really not going to have any good options for saving on that insurance cost. If the truck has a dump bed, the cost is even worse.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

The heavier the truck...........the more liability.
    Each state is different, so don't be inclined to be in a state where they want tax's on every piece of equipment you own and use. Personal Property Tax.....business tax.

4. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

Its not a dump, but a lawn maintenance truck. I will use it to haul mowers and other hand helds. I just cant belive the cost.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Here is another odd insurance fact. If your 1 ton has a pickup bed, the insurance cost would be cheaper than the same 1 ton with a flatbed on it.
    I have no idea why, but that is the way they do it.
    Also, here in Texas, a 1 ton pickup can be on my regular auto policy, with a rider for commercial use. However, a 1 ton flatbed must be on a commercial policy all by itself, which of course, costs more.

6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

RBATTEN...I'm in FL and use Allstate..$2200 per year to insure my F150 for commercial.

7. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

I call progressive yesterday and they want $6700 a yr. Right now I use Infinity and my total policy for both vehicles and two trailers is $5320. I will call my agent Monday and see if he can find something better. I will also give Allstate a call today to see what they can offer.

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I switched to Travelers insurance for my commercial vehicle a couple of months ago. For my 99 F350 and 20' enclosed trailer it is around 1100 per year. It does not include contents but hardly any companies in Texas include contents.
    Atleast being legit gives you a tax write off.

9. RBatten

RBatten LawnSite Member
    from FL

I will call traveler also.

10. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

It's a shame all these commercial management companies wanting you to carry high dollar insurance and then sqeezing you out for the lowest bidder on their property or slow pay you azz.

Downright sickening. Your lucky if you can even make a small profit if you get one.

That's it! I'm going into the insurance bis. Collect money and hardly ever pay anything out.