1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Auto Ins.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ron's Lawncare, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just converted one of my personal trucks to the buisness. i can't believe the liability portion of the policy is twice as much money as the consumer policy i had. this is for the exact same coverage just commercial instead of consumer.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Thats because you will be spending more time on the road, hence, a greater liability...Simple actually...
  3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

FIND A NEW PROVIDER. Mine only went up about $100.00 a year and I went from regular personal to a million in coverage commercial. but that was just liability I refuse to pay full coverage.
  4. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

The liability portion of your insurance is the highest portion. Regardless of adding comp and coll, it will increase. I would say you agent may not have the market to place you with better pricing for the commercial auto. You may want to look around. It is easier to obtain credit on your policies if the same company carries most of the. Usually the WC will be placed with a different carrier. Also, several companies offer a commercial endorsement to the personal policy that allows it to remain with the lower personal rates. Most of these carriers will not allow employees to drive or signage on the automobile. If it ain't one thing it's another.
  5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Wow musta been because of my age but when I changed the trucks from a personal policy I cut the premium in half and went from 25,000 to 1 mil liability.
  6. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

Age and credit play a large part. In fact, asking for higher limits also makes you appear more responsible.