Commercial Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevesmowing, Jan 21, 2008.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

For the past two years I have had Commercial Auto Insurance on both of my trucks. One truck I almost always drive, and the other truck an employee always drives.

I was looking around and wondered what the difference was between commercial auto and just regular auto.

I did a quote for Geico indicating it would be used for business and listed an employee as an additional driver. The quote came to $1,500 for the two trucks.

I currently pay $1,500 per truck with my commercial auto. Do I need commercial auto or can I just use a regular policy as long as it is listed as being used for business?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

If you use the truck to make money it's commericial,

If you dont have commerical and you use the truck to make money, it can be taken away from you.

If indeed something happens, you can loose everything you own and be forced to pay restitution for the rest of your life

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

Not true in my state. My agent told me it can be under a personal policy as long as you list it as business use and its fine.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why do you think they want to know if it is used for business? :drinkup:

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I just got dropped from Geico because my truck is commercial. They said they don't cover commercial vehicles in ohio. Yet for the past 3 years they've been covering it as "commercial/private" split and i was being charged for it. I asked if i would of got in an accident if they would of covered it and it basicly sounded like they wouldn't. I said so wheres my check at? They asked what i was talking about, I said i've been paying an extra couple hundred for the past 3 years, wheres my check? They didn't know what to say.

So F geico from now on for me. I talked with a higher up and I said you guys really did your selves over good, I told him how i was being charged extra and how they made it seem like i wouldnt of been covered (even though i got a survey every 6 months asking if it was commercial and if it had signs on it). I then said oh, the other 4 cars under my policy, those will be going to a new company, and I'll be sure to let all my relatives know that I got a great rate from Erie insurance also.

Watch out for Geico, they'll screw you

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

rate's still the same. its not considered as commercial use where the premium would be alot higher

7. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Wow your paying way to much.

For our fleet we pay like 2890 a year full coverage on 2 of the trucks, others have gen liability.... also we have a 1mill coverage policy, it is threw NGM and Mid Atlantic Group. I can get there info for you, PM me if interested. Also we have plows on all the trucks except for one. We have I believe a total of 5 trucks on this policy. Not a bad deal for a 1mill policy. It is commercial auto as well.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Age has alot to do with it. I pay 1300 a year full coverage for a 96, because I'm young and not married, even with a clean driving record never any accidents or tickets.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You know the "G" in Geico is for "Government" , right?

Government Employees Insurance Company (dunno where the "O" came from, maybe it's for "Ouch!")

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one truck Commercial/ one truck personal last year. Got in an accident with commercial truck plowing at one of my commercial accounts. First thing insurance co. asked 'were you using vehicle for personal or commercial business at time of accident?'. If I had my personal vehicle, I was told by insurance company they would have walked away from it, I would have been S.O.L.
    I saved a bunch of money on my commercial auto when I switched to Erie Insurance. I pay just about $2600/ yr. for two trucks, plowing and landscaping, with 1 mil/ 1 mil coverage w/ $500 deduct. myself and one under 25 yo employee on my policy. I moved all of my ins. (liability, WC, umbrella and comm. auto.) to them, now I write one check each month to cover all of my insurance. I was writing 3 checks to 3 different companies each month.
    hope it helps.
    Matt.